IGNORED

My Car Is Ugly... Help! Need Body Kit!

sopwith21

If those are 8 or 9 inch cantilever slicks on your car, some of the SCCA E Production folks are using the "Subtle Z" kit from www.ztrix.com pictured below Some of the wilder looking kits use really wide or offset wheels which might not be best for what you are doing. John Coffey of www.betamotorsports.com was using the ZG flares on his open track Z with 16x10 wheels.

post-1154-14150794920555_thumb.jpg

Those are 9 inch Goodyear R430 racing slicks. Tire size is 23x9x15.

The best priced stuff I've found so far - while keeping expenses and labor to a reasonable limit - are as follows:

1. JSP Mecha 55" Double Plate Self-Adjusting Aluminum Wing from Spoilers4Less.com, $280... OR...

2. Fiberglass Turbo Style Whale Tail, The Z Store, $270, non-adjustable.

3. Xenon Aero Kit (front valance, side skirts, rear skirt and rear wing that I won't use cause its too small) $376 at www.impactparts.com

4. Fiberglass IMSA Fender Flares, $117 per pair

The combination should put me at just over a thousand dollars (shipping, you know), and dress it up quite a bit. After that comes the paint and decals. What think ye so far? Additional ideas are still sought.

That looks fantastic.

When people say "Motorsport Auto," don't they really mean The Z Store? Everytime I got to MSA and click to see their online store, I end up at The Z Store. Must be the same outfit... but I still can't find those fender flares. Here's where I'm looking:

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=7APP

Does the G Nose require a special hood?

I'd like to replace the front spoiler, add four flares and a whale tale... or somesuch combination of aero stuff. But since this is a racecar I'm a little concerned about weight. Has anyone put on a full aero kit and checked the weight and performance difference? 60 lbs equals about half a second in lap times on my car, so I need an idea of how much weight savings is necessary elsewhere to break even.

• 1 month later...

MSA is zcarparts.com

Whatever you do, don't put a big spoiler or whale tale on it...man that just ruins a Z...too ricey. I've seen it done, and it just ruins it man. Get the BRE stock style...its much more functional anyways.

MSA is zcarparts.com

Whatever you do, don't put a big spoiler or whale tale on it...man that just ruins a Z...too ricey. I've seen it done, and it just ruins it man. Get the BRE stock style...its much more functional anyways.

I agree! I have a bre style spiler only it is a bit oversized (taller) and I think it is ugly. I do not mind the original bre size but eventually I am taking mine off and not replacing it with anything.

I have the same size goodyears on my car for autox only in the R250 compound. The MSA street flares look great on Steve's car with the cantilevers. I wold like to go with either those or ZG's (I'm a sucker for flares). Money is the big factor though, so for now the car will stay the same.

I want to get a dedicated track car. I'm going to keep the spoiler on the car until I get it repainted, then store the spoiler until I can get a track car and put it on that car. I like the looks of flares and a spoiler as much as without a spoiler. I do think the spoiler I have (and you have) works well though. One autox course we have is very big with a long straight. I can get to about 95 mph (7K+ in 3rd) then there is a sweeping right. The car is more stable than 2 other Z's that run the course with out a spoiler. I can enter the corner at a higher speed, they both use the brakes, I just lift on the throttle for a second. It is either the spoiler or I am a little more brave than they are. We all run the same tires and the suspensions are very similar too.

That little spoiler below the rear light is interesting.