IGNORED

VIN Decoding

jszarecki

Its a series I... the vents are in the hatch...

but is it a 70 or a 71?

I'd say HLS30-15369 would be a 71 based on these three lines:
HLS30 011618 10/70 Highest VIN# Sold/Titled As A 1970 Model Year Car

HLS30 017827 12/70 Last Full Month Of Series-I Body Style Production (rear hatch vents)

Note 3: Series-I production carried over into Jan. of 1971.

I'd say HLS30-15369 would be a 71 based on these three lines:

I pointed out and submitted this info to zhome.com. when I originally bought the car. It hasn't been updated. I have HLS30 011730 10/70 Sold/Titled as a 1970. That would have made it the highest known VIN # sold/titled as a 1970 model year car. But, this is only DMV issued information that has been known to be less than a consistant indicator. Different States used different criteria when filling out the paper work. It seems the DMV in many States were flexible, meeting the needs of the applicants for a variety of reasons.

Hello all,

I recently got my father's 240Z. Its VIN is HLS30-15369.

The mfg. plate on the driver's side door say's it was built 12/70.

Paperwork shows that the car was ordered 7/11/70, and delivered 2/18/71.

First question, what is this car? a 1970 or 1971?

Actually, it is both. It is a 1970 Production Year, or a Series I Datsun 240-Z most likely produced in 12/70. A model which was still being produced into Jan. of 1971. It was originally sold and titled as a 1971 Model Year.

When talking about years - you have to specify Calendar Year, Production Year, Model Year etc - otherwise a discussion can get very confusing to people following along.

Looks like your Father waited 7 months to get "a 240-Z". A seven month waiting list was not at all uncommon in 1970.

Traditionally, here in the US new "Models" are introduced in Sept. or Oct. of the year prior to the upcoming Calendar Year. Because the car arrived at the Dealership in Feb. of 1971, and because the Series I Datsun 240-Z's meet all State and Federal requirements for both model years 1970 and 1971 - the car was both sold and thus titled as a 1971 Model Year Datsun 240-Z.

Although the car was the same "Series" for both 1970 and 1971 - the price was not the same. The MSRP of the Series I models sold as 1971 Model Year vehicles was higher than the MSRP of the 1970 Model Year vehicles. Would be interesting to know if the Dealer held the lower price for you Father...$3526 or changed the sale price to the higher price prior to delivery. Most Dealers raised the price... or used the 1971 Window Stickers..

Nissan introduced what they called the "Late Model Year 1971 240-Z", the car we commonly call the Series II models in Jan. 1971. They sold and titled this car as a 1971 Model Year 240-Z as well. It too meet all State and Federal requirements for the 1971 Model Year.

Also what other info can the VIN tell?

In 1970 through 1981 the VIN was comprised of model information and a chassis serial number.

"H" = 2.4L engine found in the 240-Z

"L" = Left Hand Drive Model

"S30" = 2 dr. Sports Coupe (title will usually say "Cpe")

15369 = Chassis Serial Number (for the Left Hand Drive chassis)

(the car was parked in 1980 when my father lost his sight, and has 24,041 on the odo)

That is a shame, on the other hand he got to enjoy it for at least 10 years.

There are signs of some rust starting to show on the rocker panels and obviously all the mechanicals and seals need a thorough going over.)

Thanks!

Not at all uncommon for the doglegs at the rear wheel arches to rust on the Series I cars... easy to fix with aftermarket patch panels. If the rust is actually on the rockers - it can also be metal patched.

Good luck with the car..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Good point.

I own 19724, production 01/71, wich holds all series I cues, but the rear seat storage containers are plastic, mounted forward of the rear deck.

"but" ? The Series I cars had the plastic tool storage covers... So it sounds like your Z is a Series I example.

At present - the highest VIN we have recorded for a Series I example is HLS30-20419. 240Ztt has 20425, but we don't have confirmation of its configuration, likewise 20438 was reported, but no pictures or confirmation of its specific configuration.

FWIW,

Carl B.

So with the information I have read here, I could for all intents and purposes, restore a 240Z, but use a different colour combination (interior/exterior correct match for the year), and it could still be considered all original, or "perfect restoration" (as long as it was done well), and the vin would never reveal that?

Does the door tag have body and/or interior colour information?

So with the information I have read here, I could for all intents and purposes, restore a 240Z, but use a different colour combination (interior/exterior correct match for the year), and it could still be considered all original, or "perfect restoration" (as long as it was done well), and the vin would never reveal that?

Does the door tag have body and/or interior colour information?

As long as it's done well, with all areas originally painted being redone with the new color. No, the door tag does not contain color information. Paperwork from the dealer and such if you have it will state the original color though.

Hi Ron:

Oops... I updated the file, then failed to upload to the server. I'll correct that..

Carl B.

Hi Carl, I know many people have submitted the information on their Zs over the years allowing you to create the lists, and it is well done. We have all used this resource for information at one time or another. I was just curious of how accurate you believe them to be today. With these cars being parted out at a record rate, I wonder how many are still on the list but actually no longer exist. Do you get any feedback from anyone in that regard? I remember a few years ago coming across a list of Zs that had been parted out. I can't recall the site and haven't seen it again. After each VIN it had RIP. It could have been an auto recycle yard. Anyone else remember this?