IGNORED

VIN Decoding

jszarecki

Lot's of differences under the skin.

Flat Top carbs (previously mentioned)

smog equipment such as different version of cylinder head, & Charcoal canister added

more complicated (in general) electrical system

lighted heater control panel

flasher switch changed from Toggle to Push/Pull design,

bumpers (previously mentioned)

and many more minor differences. (diameter of body plugs, etc)

the black spacer you are speaking of, is it the same as those that were on the early 74 260's? My old 260 had the small bumpers (early) and in front had a little "flap" that covered the tops of the bumpers in front. I thought those were 74 specific, no? I actually liked the look of them, I can only imagine they are scarce these days.

The Motorsport Auto catalog lists different part numbers for the 73 240Z and Early 260Z bumper filler pieces (which is what you are asking about)

• 2 months later...

1. Valuation of Z's can vary significantly depending on location

2. Terms like "fairly straight body" leave a lot of "wiggle room" and what fits that difintion in your eyes will probably not fit that definition to me.

3. If it's only 80 to 90% complete, it's a project car and it's value is (IMO) much less than a complete car of comparable condition, VIN, etc.

What would you say a 240Z with minimal rust, fairly straight body, and i would say probably 80-90% complete would go for? The VIN# seems very low from what you guys are saying it is HLS30-05578. Let me know! Thanks alot guys.

Mike

that's the ebay car from arizona which was initially listed as a 1972 car

Yea, it is the one on Ebay. I don't think it is worth me bidding then b/c I live in FL and it will cost close to $1000 to get it here. I was hoping maybe it would be worth around $1200-1400 so it would be a good buy, then restore it to complete stock. Looks like a good buy if I lived closer though.

Mike

• 1 year later...
I am having the same problem trying to decode my vin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The vin is HS130220226. PLEASE HELP ME!

Let's see. HS130 would indicate a 280ZX. 220226 quite possibly makes it one of the last 1980 models.

While it isn't necessarily accurate, the Black Dragon catalog at least makes an attempt at breaking down the numbers:

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/0008.html

What kind of information are you expecting to get out of the VIN?

I'mused to new car vins that tell almost everything about the car. From color to interior to engine and so on. Mostly I am trying to figure out how to find out all of this info. The car I purchased is in good running order but needs a great deal of interior replacement. I have never worked on a car like this so I am trying to learn as I go. I have a good deal of experience with old American cars but none with cars like this. I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks To All