Ballast resistor on the 280Z - Page 2 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Ballast resistor on the 280Z

Featured Replies

  • Author
After doing the homework, I conclude that there would be no advantage in using a higher output coil since this system seems to allow a finite amount of current to the distributor.

Right. In fact, some high output coils are NOT recommended for use with electronic ignition. See VB and MSA catalogs.

  • Author

No......

JZM was saying that the ecu eliminates the ballast resistor, and controls the power to the coil electronically.

That was taken basically from the 810 service manual. The 280Z FSM has basically the same info on page EE-30. There is one less circuit on the 280Z but the functions are basically the same. I don't know about that extra plug you mention.

post-3797-141507947608_thumb.jpg

Well I sure don't see the term ECU mentioned in his post!! And even if he does mean it's in the ECU he still seems to be saying that there IS a resistor.

I'm not trying to argue, but his statement ( as I quoted) seems quite clear to me.

JZM are you out there? can you clarify?

ORIGINALLY tomohawk asked why the resistor was not there.there for I told

WHAT the BALLAST RESISTOR was for so he would know why it was not there.I mentioned coils only because its related in all of this[but only for it's primary side-please re-read my first post]......I did not talk about what coils would best be used.And YES there are BALLAST RESISTORS in 280Zs I beleive there in 75-76- and 77s,[78 do not have them] and the other resistor, I am mentioning is for related low tension systems.[see wire diagrams for said years of 280Zs].I did not say that the ecu eliminates the ballast resistor and controls the coil.the 260Z and 280Zs have an ignition control box for spark control not resistance control.my first post information came from a 73Z factory service manual on page EE-26 which is a basic description of an ignition system with a ballast resistor.

JZM

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.