IGNORED

B&M wants to borrow your car!

TomoHawk

It doesn't have to FIT the aS30 car. We just need them to start making them again.

I's not a "pretend" shifter. I see it as the evolution of the straight-gate now used. I see it as the shifter you'd get in any performance-minded car ( which is a LOT of them). I don't see to many rachet-shifters on street cars, so they must be useless too, huh?

the H-pattern is just the name given to shifters for the 4 and 5-speed transmissions. You might also call it a horizontal-gate. Tthere is also a vertical-gate or "Z-gate" shift pattern.

No need for a clutch pedal, because there's no clutch.

B&M WAS interested in 90-93. They designed it, patented it, and marketed it, but they suddenly took it off the market before it hit the shelves because if a problem with the reverse lock-out that racers needed. I thought there might be somebody here with connections at B&M that might use the clout of this group to resurrect the project. To our benifit of course.

thx

Clout? LOL There are probably less than 500 people who represent the core of this group. How many HAVE an automatic? How many ofthose would WANT what you are describing?

a 90-96 Z32 is far different than an 70-78 S30 (far more of them left as well) interesting that they either COULDN'T or at the very least DIDN'T overcome the problem.

Money spent on project : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Money earned from project : $

No, no no..... You're thinking backwards...

B&M designs and build shifters. They're experts at it! I saidthe shifter would be put into a million cars, it would earn $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!

You're thinking small. thing BIG. Make it an idea that WILL happen.

I saidthe shifter would be put into a million cars, it would earn $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!

You're thinking small. thing BIG. Make it an idea that WILL happen.

Please put the crack pipe down and step away from the drugs!

You assume that what is designed for one car model will fit and work (and be wanted) in many others. A million? COME ON! Be real.

There is a difference between thinking big and FANTASYLAND.

They just need to fix the problem so they can get it (certified for competition). The idea/design can be adapted for different shift patterns, like it is for Ford C4-C6, Chevy T250-350-TH700, Mopar, etc. It should also be relatively easy to make a change for the Nissan shift gate. Remember the S30 auto trans is a LOT like the one in the Maxima, et al.

Wake up buddy. Engineers don't work for peanuts, it costs money to redesign things. Carl is right. If this was such a minor and easy to fix problem, they would have FIXED it and sold it to begin with instead of cutting their losses.

Judging simply from the fact that they dropped it after investing all that time/money into designing it indicates to me that that it probably had some sort of fundamental design flaw, correction of which would have required enough manpower and retooling to obliterate any profit margin they hoped to make on it.

I do not know much about this B&M company, but from what I gather they are not a non-profit organization : they are likely (wait lemme check, are they based in the USA? Yes they are.) governed by money most of all. Something that will cost X amount of money to design and produce, and sell for Y amount of money, where Y is infinitesimal compared to X, then they would have to sell a great volume of units. From what you're telling us here, I really cannot think of anyone I personally know who would buy one. Would you really pay enough to help cover a sizeable fraction of the design and production costs yourself?

From what I can tell, the main 'performance' applications of automatic transmissions in Z cars is for drag racing. I think those guys won't be using the same 3 speed slushboxes that were put in the S30.

Edit : forum didn't like my mathematical symbols

What does the 90-96 Z32 have to do with a shifter designed in 1991?

B&M WAS interested in 90-93. They designed it, patented it, and marketed it, but they suddenly took it off the market before it hit the shelves because if a problem with the reverse lock-out that racers needed.

Guess I assumed wrong. So, they took 3 years to design, patent, and market the thing? THEN they cancelled the project before it hit the shelves?

And they never revived the project? THAT should tell you how valuable B&M thought the idea was!

So you want them to make a product so you can put it in your car and it doesn't have to fit?

Yeah, I'd buy one if it would WORK. I'd make a mount for it with a nice box & everything. Many nice mods in my car already:

full-size wheel in the back

flip-up toolbox lid

fancy shifter handle

euro-style trunk pull & door pulls

modern day/night rearview mirror

power steering

supportive seats

etc