IGNORED

OT: 1968 Honda S800 for sale!

v12horse

I thought some of you might find this interesting. I have never seen one of these before, but from pictures I absolutely love them. Does anyone know how much these cars are worth? I would love to have one of these next to my Z someday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4514003040&category=6260

Take care,

Ben

I'm not completely sure about the statement about this model never being available in the US. Unless he means the coupe. I seem to remember seeing these here, at least the roadster, way back when before people here started taking Japanese cars seriously.

The convertalbes look nicer. Strange little cars these ones. More like a motocycle with an identiy crisis. They had 600cc engines, which were essentially just motorcycle engines, and the rear axle was driven by a chain, not a prop shaft.

C'mon Mr Cammo!!! attention to detail!!

The ad clearly states an S800 coupe! 600 cc was earlier. They had a diff driven by a prop shaft.

Those extra 200cc's did make a different beast!! The prop shaft was driven off a duplex chain drive out of the gearbox.

Gimme a coupe anyday... ragtops suck, big time!! Back in my tech days we had one of the 600s happily running to 11000 RPM ......all the power of a thousand startled butterflies ROFLROFLROFL

I'm betting that he's right. I remember reading that Honda didn't start importing cars to the states untill '69. Up until then they only brought motorcycles over here. Also he even states that all the gauges are in metric. If ya'll or someone you know is remotely interested in this car let me know it can't be anymore than 20 mins from my doorstep. I know exactly where spring street is. You've gotta wonder how much he wants?

Hey Coastie,

I thought ragtop was any softop car....and a cabriolet was the centre section slidin' back?? leavin' the sides in place?? I must admit I'm just throwin' around terms I've heard over the years!! regardless... I've never seen a convertible that didn't look better as a hard top..

Frinstance...a ' 67 Corvette, a softop with its lid up or down wouldn't rate parked beside a coupe of the same vintage, to me anyway(btw I'm 47years old LOL )

Jim.

The S800 makes a great looking little Roadster. Give me a Datsun 2000 anyday, though!

Here's a Ragtop too... a '62 model.

Nope, you've got it backward G72. "Cabriolet" is German or French or Italian (? can't recall?) for convertible. If you remember VW had the Rabbit Cabriolet which was a convertible and later when the Rabbit was renamed the Golf the convertible was just called the Cabriolet.

Nate

post-2476-14150794664908_thumb.jpg

post-2476-14150794665037_thumb.jpg

You know, on the topic of auto terms... a good friend of mine had a book of Automotive Industry Terms and what they mean and where they come from. A couple of the ones I recall are... GT cars (originally) should not have frames around the door windows. Therefore a Mustang GT hardtop should not be a GT. But now GT gets thrown on any sports car. Of course these terms and their defs. date back to when the auto industry was in it younger stages (30's 40's 50's). Another was Coupe, coming from the French word Coupe', and it's automotive translation basically meaning "chopped" and that if you had a four door with a low roof line then it could be considered a coupe. Interesting that we consider darn near any two a coupe nowadays. Look at cadillac with the Coupe de 'ville and sedan de 'ville 2 door and 4 door respectively.

Nate

Then there's hardtop vs. coupe. vs sedan. Coupes I always thought had pillarless/frameless door/windows and sedans had the frames. So the, what's a hardtop? Would that be opposed to a softtop/convertible/cabriolet? It's 8:40 am, my brain hurts!