IGNORED

87000-U0175 Datsun Competition seat

v12horse

I have wanted to start this thread for over a month now. This past summer I attended the National Z convention and while there I saw a Datsun competition seat in a 1970 1800sss. I was thinking that it was an option that the original owner chose, but the two sets of holes may be an indication that this seat has a few lives. Maybe one set matches up with a Z :) . I was very enthused not only about the seat, but the Bluebird as well. I could not believe that I even saw the seat in person. I talked with the owner of the car, who by the way is a very nice gentleman, and he said that he would sell me the seat when he replaced it with a Recaro. About 4 months later I bought the seat.

I have tried to come up with some information about various types of Competition seats made by Nissan during the 60's and 70's, but this thread is solely about the Datsun Competition seat. The part number is 87000-U0175. The nickname for it in Japan is the "Datsun Bucket". It was a seat that I presume was made in the mid to late 60's and 70's. It was an option in the Datsun competition catalog as the sort of generic Nissan bucket seat. I thought it was the seat offered in the Z432-R, but that seat is known as the Ikeda Bussan seat.

The seat pictured here is a later model because of the metal piece on the top of the seat. This piece is to guide the seat belts over the driver's shoulders when using the 4-point harness seatbelts. Unfortunately, this seat does not have a headrest, but one can see where it would bolt on in the back where the two vertical screw holes are located.

The construction:

This is a one-piece solid-back seat made of FRP (Fiberglass reinforced plastic); it is very light in weight. There are some metal pieces that help hold this seat together which I believe to be aluminum. The covering is vinyl, and the padding on the shiny areas makes it very cushy. However, it is not very comfortable. Getting into the seat is no problem, but getting out can be a task. You have to literally lift your leg upwards and over. The vents are exactly the same as the vents on my early 260z seat covers.

I feel that this is a great piece and I wanted to share as much as I can with everyone. If anyone has seen one before or knows more about this seat, please add to this thread. Please correct the information if needed. Be knit picky. I must thank Alan Thomas and Guus Van Der Bohl for helping me with this information.

-Ben

post-3738-1415079466158_thumb.jpg

post-3738-14150794662265_thumb.jpg

post-3738-14150794662836_thumb.jpg

Absolutely fabulous Ben :) I have one question. Obviously in the Z it is no problem but in the Bluebird you might want the seat to lift up for people to get in/out of the back. Is this possible with the Datsun Bucket?

Make sure to take a pic when the seat is installed in your car!!

Great find Ben and well done. I have considered chasing a set of these period suited seats for my Z I am wondering if you notice the head rest not being there? The only time i use the one in my car is when i come home late at night and cruise along at a steady rate.

I'm pretty sure that a set of Recaro's might be cheaper than finding buyign and importing these for my Z though. Hence my dilemna :).

All the best with it anyway :)

Lachlan, it had a sliding mechanism attached to it in the Bluebird. I am not sure how far it would slide forward. That is a good question. I also wanted to note that this seat sits a little higher than a stock Z seat.

Chris, thank you for the kind words. You can take a look at it any time if you are in the area.

Gavin, I see your dilemna and I would suggest to get a period style bucket or hold off like you said for one of these. Have a look on Japan Yahoo auctions. I remember seeing some on there before.

Ben

Thanks for the links Lachlan! I was looking at the listings and I believe the last link is of the Datsun Competition reissue that was offered by Nismo in 1992 (I think it was 92', but it could have been 91' or 93'.) for the 10th anniv of the NISMO division. I was talking with Kats about these seats and he said that when Nismo offered the reissue in Japan, they sold out very fast, as well as the Datsun Competition steering wheel that they also made a reissue of during the same time. Those were some great pics. I am wondering if the unvented back seat is earlier? I love the Nissan emblem on the headrest of the one seat.

-Ben :)

I have a Corbeau equipe rally seat in the shed . It was given to me by a mate who bought it in 1974 for his 240K. It is similar to your pics Ben, but has higher sides with cut outs for a harness. I actually grabbed it out of his fishing boat for a driving simulator I was building last year. It'll probably end up in the KGC10 now though.....I'll get it out for some pics if anybody is interested....