IGNORED

L24 L26 L28 Dyno results

Mr Camouflage

holding it back? i thought 235 at the flywheel was a fairly good figure and the guy at the tuning shop said he loved how strong the motor was and he's been working on thiese things his whole life...

anyway, the whole engine has been ported, polished and blue printed, so i'd say the works has been done on the head.

Tom.

I dont know if there would be a whole lot more to get out of it. I have not built up nor dynoéd several L28s, but from what I have seen and experienced those numbers look about right(for a stree engine, not a full house race motor).

Gav240z, what makes you think that there is something "holding it back¨ ?

hmm interesting,

thing is it is supposed to be a full-out race motor. that's what it's design purpose was for, the whole car for that matter.

i dunno what you guys expected but i was told 200hp (i assume that means at the flywheel) was what to expect from other people in perth (australia) who have the same setup as this.

i am quite happy and some of the figures i see from the us site's i do believe to be unrealistic.

i dont know how to get any more power from it but let me know and i can find out if the car has had it done yet or not.

Cheers,

Tom.

BTW:

the car's rev limit is set to 6500RPM and that is what it was left at for the tuning do maybe more power would be experianced by moving this to say 7000RPM? i'm not going to but the car does lag till about 4000RPM and then the motor hauls REAL hard till red line when the fuel cut stops acceleration.

Tom.

My car has dynoed at 255rwhp (see my post on page 1 for link), but only once. Two other dyno runs on different occasions (both before and after the 255 run) had me at 235 and 238 respectively. On the same day I did 238rwhp, stock 350Z's (factory rated at 287 at the flywheel) were doing 240rwhp (DANG!).

Stuff to consider, anyway...

Tom,

At what rpm were you making peak power? Mine peaks at ~6250-6500. I limit it to 7000, sometimes 7200.

Anyway, if your peak torque in lb.-ft is less than your peak power in hp, there's definitely more hp to be had given a big cam, big carbs, and headwork, whatever the absolute NUMBERS are. My peak hp is ~15-18% greater than my torque in lb-ft.

Tom,

thats very strong mate i wouldnt worry about more headwork/cam etc. A few guys in the Sydney Z club have similiar setups to yours and are getting about the same at the wheels.

if you want more grunt than this from a half steetable engine then you will need to go bigger capacity.

to move your power band you will need more compression. so thats new pistons or rods. and hell if your going to do that bore those cylinders out 3mm.

what you have sounds pretty good to me.

i dont plan on doing any more work it all seems good to me, the power is about right and the tourque is good.

i dont know what the peaks are thw tuner's dyno doesnt do a computer read out so when i get a run on a differant dyno i'll let you know.

Tom.

BTW:

the car's rev limit is set to 6500RPM and that is what it was left at for the tuning do maybe more power would be experianced by moving this to say 7000RPM? i'm not going to but the car does lag till about 4000RPM and then the motor hauls REAL hard till red line when the fuel cut stops acceleration.

Tom.

If you only rev it to 6500RPM and are running it on fuel from your local servo, than its not a purpose built racing engine. Just to give you some idea, There was a Japanese L28 engined drag car that made 330ps. Yes it was 3.1L, but it gives you some sort of perspective as to the potential (if you have $$) of a purpose built L series.

But like everyone says, what you are getting sounds about right. I would be very happy if my L28 made anything near that.