IGNORED

Weber throttle body injection

Bruce Woolmore

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking about putting triple throttle body setup on my '79 ZX which already has FI. I'm curious about what kind of mods I'll have to make. If I read correctly the intake manifolds from early Zs bolt up to the ZX heads so if I get a triple weber intake and bolt the throttle bodies onto it I dont see why it wouldn't work, but since I'm new to the whole Z car thing, I thought it'd be best to ask before ordering parts. I'll be contacting weber later today to ask them about it, but I'd like to get some advice from Z car gurus.

Thanks.

I'm thinking about putting triple throttle body setup on my '79 ZX which already has FI. I'm curious about what kind of mods I'll have to make. If I read correctly the intake manifolds from early Zs bolt up to the ZX heads so if I get a triple weber intake and bolt the throttle bodies onto it I dont see why it wouldn't work, but since I'm new to the whole Z car thing, I thought it'd be best to ask before ordering parts. I'll be contacting weber later today to ask them about it, but I'd like to get some advice from Z car gurus.

Thanks.

Since it's already fuel injected wouldn't it already have throttle bodies?

Here's one reason why I want triple webers:

Stock:

stockengine.jpg

Triple Weber:

tripleFI.jpg

Looks are a good deciding factor for me. Eventally I'm going to up the power to a Small Block Chevy, but I figured that I should have some fun while I'm doing the body work. I really want to see what this little six can do! Plus when I do my swap I'll sell this to someone for cheap. If you want it give me a call in about a year.

Acctually, its fairly accurate... My car currently looks like the top picture and its going to look like the bottom picture.

...or at least that's my excuse. :paranoid: I figure that I can spend money making it look like the picture you posted OR I can spend money making it look like the picture I posted. I just happen to like the look of the tri-carb a little better. Now that I get to looking both of the 'clean' cars are not 280zx's so I guess neither is a good comparison...

My point is basically that it is a lot cheaper and easier to hide and tidy wiring harness and vacuum lines if appearance is your only worry. The dollars you will save will help you get your motor swap happening a lot quicker or at least a best spent on things you actually want to keep. It is sure to be a can of worms when you replace something with a non standard item, everything I have done has taken me twice as long and cost twice as much as planned. I wouldnt do anything like that unless you really want it for a good reason, and at least plan to keep it.

Just my 2c, at the end of the day it doesnt worry me.

You make a very good point and In all acctuality I'll probably have my head in the body work so long I wouldn't enjoy the tri setup anyways. I still might not ditch the idea completely however I do have some common sense.

Edit: I called Weber today and they said that the stock ZX regulator, pump, and injectors will work fine. Which would make the price roughly even with the tri Carb setup for early Zs.

I'm starting to shape up a plan for this car. This spring I'll be stripping down the car to bare frame and replacing all the rusted panels. When I start putting it back together I'll be rebuilding the brakes and cleaning up the suspension and drivetrain. I've decided that I'm going to rod out the straight six, sbc swap just seems like the easy way out. I'm going to focus the initial spending on the internals(obvious reasons) then get the triple weber TBI later on, most likely around fall ...if all goes well.

Thanks for the input guys, its really helped me make some crutial decisions