IGNORED

Electronic Igniton on 240k

The C110

Gday all,

Ive been on a hunt for a 280zx electronic dizzy for what seems like AGES now...There have been quite a few zx's advertised in Perths local classifeids publication, but all of the owners so far have denied me the opportunity to take bits out of their cars [even $800 unlicenced shitbox examples] such as the distributor. Now i know that the 280c is also endowed with one, and a seller today claimed that later 260c's had them, but these cars dont come up very often either. Would anyone know where i can obtain electronic ignition for a half-decent price [aside from a kit using your points dizzy]?

The GC210 also runs an electronic dizzy that's where mine is from, although I'm currently back to running points at the moment as I'm waiting for a new cap to arrive (early next week).

But basically most EFI L-series 6's should be able to help, be careful though... if it's got a screw on dizzy cap, you probably don't want it as it has completely different connectors and I'm not sure whether it can be adapted to suit as I believe those ones run off the ECU. Not 100% on that though.

Thanks Michael! Jeez its probably the most obvious soloution, i didnt even think about the c210. Was the installation of yours fairly simple and straigtforward - or did you take it to an auto electrician?

ps. apologies for the late reply

Tom

Hey Tom,

Pretty simple to setup, you rip out your old one and put in the new one, add one extra wire and make sure you've got an appropriate coil for an electronic dizzy, so if you can, take the one from the C210.

There's a diagram floating around the net and probably on here about what you need to do when you replace the dizzy, it's exactly the same as replacing it with the ZX one which is what the diagram/instructions refer to. I had the image somewhere but I can't seem to find it. If you have no luck finding it by searching this website then I'll have a thorough look for it.

-Michael

Hello Alfadog,

Thanks, I found this forum a couple of months ago and have been watching Kent's "progress" on his 240 project. I have just picked up a K coupe from Wagga about 2 months ago and don't have some good picks of it yet. I'll be glad to explain my plains for it a little latter. Unfortunatly, it is not as quite as complete as I would have liked and was lead to believe. So there is a bit more scrounging do do.

I have played around with Datsun/Nissans for a few years now and thought it would be nice to share some information.

Hum, BNR, your right.

Regards

Heeeey, another 240k-ist to join the frey, welcome!

I too would love to see some pics of your car, whether its rough as guts or not! Thanks for the r30 tip, id have never thought. I wonder how easy it is to stick the r30's dizzy in? As you said its the cheapest option probably, as there are still many r30's floating about the place. Your reference to the brakes reminds me; at some stage id like to install 4wheel discs, and the r30 adds another cheap option to the list - originally i had planned for vs commode, er i mean commodore discs as theyre an easy swap (=

Thanks for your help, Michael. Ill have a look around for that diagram, but it sounds pretty self-explaintory. I do intend to get a new sports coil of some sort anyway, as theyre only 60-odd dollars [as opposed to a 25yo possibly unreliable one].

Cheers Gee [im sorry i dont know your real name], ill have to check allparts out. Being in perth, however, is an issue and shipping will come into play. Obviously though, it is much harder to find bits over here in a small city, compared to Sydney.

-Tom

Bruce, perhaps the Ti hatch is different, but I have also stripped an HR30 coupe for parts and it had a screw on dizzy cap which plugs into the wiring loom with a weird arse plug, if it's possible to use that dizzy without the EFI, that's great, as it means I have a spare dizzy :D, but I'd have thought you would have to use the EFI in order to use that particular dizzy, seeing as there is no control box on the distributor itself ??

Hey Tom,

Yes the R30 is a great source of parts, I used to keep the secret to myself, but after seeing some many 240Ks butchered for bloody 1600.s I with I have told people earlier ;-( By the way, the Whole R30 strut is inter-changable with the K.s It cannot get much easier than that. As for the rear disks, a you need to have a adaptor plate made. A mate of mine has done it, when I get the tech-drawing, I can provide it.

I live in Melbourne, however, I'm spending a lot of time up in Sydney with Business currently, when I get home I can go thru the relevant information. From Memory, the rear disks on a 280ZX are the same as the rears on an R30 Hatch. (Another Source)

Hey Michael,

Coupes are Different, completely, they often have different wiring standards to all other normals, it also depends on where the Coupe came from. South Africian Coupes are completely different to normal Japanese local deliveries.

As for the Dizzys, there are two different types, both can be used in any application, however there is a better one of the two. It is quite simple to wire and there is no more points to adjust. It gets a little more complicated when using forced induction, but thats another story!

Not sure on the "strange connector" need more detail, normally they have 2 terminals perpandicular to each other with electronic internals behind them (Black and very small). I should have a wiring diagram somewhere, I'll dig it up.

Cheers,

Hey Bruce,

I've taken a few pictures of the distributor and connectors I was talking about earlier. If this could be adapted to suit, that would be pretty good as it would mean I'd have another spare dizzy ;)

Let me know your thoughts.

It was taken from an HR30 L20E Coupe/Hardtop if that helps?

post-4758-14150794441595_thumb.jpg

post-4758-14150794441886_thumb.jpg