IGNORED

Jatco trans mods possible?

TomoHawk

OK, per Carl's request, I'll ask HERE, for the trans doctors if there are any shift kits or mods available to the JATCO 3N71B 3 speed trans, to improve shifting, or adust the shift points, or whatever? An add-oneverdrive would be nice.

thx

B&M used to make a "shift improver" kit for the Jatco Box. No longer available new. I bought one on ebay a few years ago. My 72 has a 280ZX box and I was going to put it in and never did. 100 bucks and its yours. Its complete with all the parts and instructions. You modify the the oil flow through the hydraulic valve body with spacer plates and stiffer springs and check valve balls. Let me know if you want the kit. I really dont want it anymore.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my 3N71B modified - but it was all custom work. Bear in mind that the gearbox is also used by Mazda & Toyota, so I imagine that the Rotary drag boys would probably have spent a bit of time working on upgrades.

I like Wil's idea about the 84 maxima transmission, and it's been on my list for over a year- just one of the last things after the body work and maybe an engine overhaul.

I think, my actual reason for inquiring on this subject would be because it seems the shift points are too low. I would like to adjust them a little higher.

I like the idea of the overdrive tho. I was planning on doing a lot of highway cruising when I got this car totally done. Like between Ohio & Florida. Maybe I'll even move myself down there (No offense Chris & Vicky! ) ;)

thx