IGNORED

'76 280Z AC compressor into '71 240Z?

Zmefeelme

I have a 1971 240 which came with factory air. The AC compressor was removed by the previous owner for performance reasons.

I live in metro Phoenix and the car is basically unusable during the summer months without the AC. I have access to an AC compressor out of a 1976 280Z. Will I be able to use it?

• 1 month later...
I have a 1971 240 which came with factory air. The AC compressor was removed by the previous owner for performance reasons.

I live in metro Phoenix and the car is basically unusable during the summer months without the AC. I have access to an AC compressor out of a 1976 280Z. Will I be able to use it?

240's were not offered with factory air

thinking it was 77 before they started offering them from the factory, there was an early dealer add on air that mounts high, and I have seen a coupla different add on systems so who knows what will bolt on in place of it?

the standard L6 A/C compressor mount is on the lower drivers side, on a 280 thats where the smog pump went on your 240

if your smog pump is gone then yes you can bolt the 280 compressor and bracket on, I think it was on the 280zx the switched over to an aluminum compressor mount (still the same but lighter)

• 1 month later...

it's not hard, you can get the kit at autozone or any parts dealer, I highly recomend replacing the reciever dryer before converting, about $30-$40 for the Reciever Dryer, and you can not get R12 unless you are licenced to use it, R134a however you can get at any auto parts store no special licence required, I converted my Z31 without issue, and one day I'll get heat and ac back into my 240 but I am considering a mixture of aftermarket and later model OEM parts, and I will be running R134A

• 2 months later...
it's not hard, you can get the kit at autozone or any parts dealer, I highly recomend replacing the reciever dryer before converting, about $30-$40 for the Reciever Dryer, and you can not get R12 unless you are licenced to use it, R134a however you can get at any auto parts store no special licence required, I converted my Z31 without issue, and one day I'll get heat and ac back into my 240 but I am considering a mixture of aftermarket and later model OEM parts, and I will be running R134A

Okay, I'm going to ask the obvious... no problems? I have a Miata that the R-12 appears to be running low in. It works "ok" but not like it used to. I am paranoid to take it into the shop, only to have them drain out the remaining R-12 and then claim "oh, you've got a leak and we cant put your R-12 back in (been there before), and BTW it'll cost you $1000 to repair the A/C". I've cruised the net for info on R-134A replacement or alternatives and get everything from doomsayers to prophets. I'm also negotiating with someone on a '73 240 that has A/C installed. Again, everything is there but it probably needs a charge. Hence the question. Anyone else want to chime in on R-12 conversions/alternatives?

Hi All,

Be leery of stores/shops all of a sudden gouging people for R134a. Apparently there has been a shakeup with some of the manufacturers. I can't back any of this up but I heard that there is only one company in the states that now makes it. Which has led to the massive price increase. I sell 30 pound jugs at my shop. Last weeks price was $240, this weeks price is $380. I'm not sure about the one pound cans but I would assume the price for that will skyrocket as well.

FWIW,

Chris