IGNORED

Z related questions(Australia).

Gav240z

Just a few questions I wanna do some work on my 240z next couple of days.

First thing is I'm going to be replacing the rear drums and getting the shoes relined. I was considering upgrading to the ZX discs but I've been told this mod is not worth while can anyone elaborate?

The second thing I'm doing is replacing the front rotors with ZX vented units and putting a spacer in the caliper to allow for the bigger rotor. Does anyone have some cheap ZX vented upfront discs that haven't been machined below legal limit cheap?

The third is the speedo cable snapped when i was down at Calper park raceway I don't wanna buy a second hand 1 and have it break on me again so does anyone know where to get a good one from and if the one rarespares makes is any good?

Next is the bulbs that suit the 240z guages. A long time ago i bought some for the centre three guages but they were physically too long and wouldn't sit in the caps(green ones) correctly and now they don't work for all sorts of reasons so I want to know where i can get a set of 4W bulbs that will work I'm told Hella any else know?

There are a few other things but these are the things I want help with. I posted under MISC as I felt it was most appropriate.

Cheers,

Gavin. :D

Just a few questions I wanna do some work on my 240z next couple of days.

snip...

Next is the bulbs that suit the 240z guages. A long time ago i bought some for the centre three guages but they were physically too long and wouldn't sit in the caps(green ones) correctly and now they don't work for all sorts of reasons so I want to know where i can get a set of 4W bulbs that will work I'm told Hella any else know?

Gavin. :D

Hella is the only manufacturer/importer of the globes you need that I'm aware of. They aren't that expensive, any auto shop should be able to order them in.

While you are pondering over this, consider changing over to LED replacements, I believe that they are also available..

MOM

I just replaced my handbrake cable. Got one through All Z spares. Cost $165 i think, new. 260z ones will fit. 280zx ones will not.

Nissan quoted me well over $200 for a new cable. It is a real PITA to replace. Mainly getting the clips out that hold it in. The ones over the diff.

From what I read in another thread, the drums are quite adequate for all but the hardest use, but people replace them for looks and serviceability.

Which ZX disks are you intending to use? 280zx ones are smaller in diameter and may not work. I have a set of these sitting doing nothing because I don't want to upgrade to smaller disks on the front :stupid:

Good luck with it.

well im not talking about normal driving. peak performance the zx setup works alot better. even off the track a couple of hard stops from high speed is enough for z brakes to start heading south, and on on the track.... forget it, you might as well hold a pillow case out the window.

i mean if your just going to cruise around in your z then yes the brake upgrade isnt much point, but start pushing it and the zx upgrade is quite useful. Im sure Gav isnt planning on just cruising around by the sound of it.

Well I'll put you all at ease and explain why why why am I doing this. Firstly I think the rear disc conversion is probably useless i just wanted any opinions on it. From the sound of it really only good for "looks". I figured while i was working on the brakes then I may as well do all 4 corners but i will just fix up the drums.

As for the cable I'm unsure about that needing to be replaced at the moment but yes it's a horrible job especially near the diff section.

Some may remember i bought a set of the 4 spot calipers off the Toyota 4X4's S12W but these are not a good upgrade in my book. They are so damn heavy that the unsprung weight was what i would call dangerous for the sort of driving i want to do.

I'll be using 300zx Z32 front calipers instead for anyone curious about the difference you should put the toyota ones in 1 hand and the 300zx ones in the other.

However since I'm trying to build a stroker motor and my current brakes need servicing then I wanted to do a cheap upgrade to help the stock brakes work a bit better until I go with a better upgrade. So i was told the old race cars use this set up in classes where they can't do much modification.

At the moment I don't do all that much track driving but it is planned for the future I think it's a safe way to really have fun in the car. I also have been enjoying the cruises I've been on in the Z with VicZcar but the brakes definately let her down coming down steep hills yikes they fade bad.

That's about it really :).

-Gav

Gav what discs will you run with the z32 calipers?

You can make improvements on the standard rear drums, have new pads radius shaped to the drums, even better have competition pads bonded to your old shoes

Apparently 280zx boosters can be fitted to the 240 which would be a big advantage

Has anybody tried this?

Steve