IGNORED

240K Ignition Lock/Barrel

Razor

I'm having problems with my ignition lock/barrel as when I bought this car the key i got was just a copy and it is now very difficult to turn the key in the ignition lock. Do I get a locksmith to make me a new key that will perfectly match the ignition lock or do I get a new ignition lock?

Where can I get a new ignition lock?

or

if I get a 2nd hand one from which car would fit perfectly on 240k

dont wanna make it look out of place or weird...

Cheers

have you tried to ''lube'' the lock ? I use WD-40 because I have a can on my bench. But graphite is a vary good lube for locks and it will not gum up the parts. Mostly I use WD on locks exposed to the weather like on gates and such . Bare in mind that I live in a rainey part of the US. There is a despencer of graphite that is spificly desingned for locks to shoot the powdered graphite into the lock.

Rob, open your glovebox and have a look at the tray. There should be the Key Numbers there. If not, the locksmith should be able to cut one from your existing key - tell the guy it's difficult to turn and maybe he'll be able to fix it?? I'm not sure about that but some locksmiths seem to be able to work magic.

Most of the keys I've had for Datsuns have resembled a butter knife more than a key. You'll probably find that the key is very worn, in which case a new original spec key should work.

However, if the barrel of the lock is also worn, a "new" key may not work either. In that case, your best bet is to get the lock re-barrelled (prety straightforward job on house locks, but probably a bit dearer on car locks).

The keys are usually made from brass (or some similar copper alloy), whereas the pins in the lock are normally hardened steel. If this is the case, then the barrel pins should have very minimal wear in them.

Peter

The keys are usually made from brass (or some similar copper alloy), whereas the pins in the lock are normally hardened steel. If this is the case, then the barrel pins should have very minimal wear in them.

Peter

Hence when you get a key re-cut, make sure you're getting brass and not a cheaper steel key, as it will wear the lock innards rather than they key.

Soz, just had to but in and say that :nervous:

Luke

I happened across a 1977 240k auto sedan outside a wreckers in Riverstone NSW this afternoon. Although it is all original, gold with black interior, and all there, it is in very sad shape, a lotta rust. Been sitting outside with windows down for years by the look. I noticed it still had the original NISSAN ignition key, petrol cap key and boot key. It's also got aircond.

I'm going back tomorrow (hopefully!) to get the towbar, if you like I can price the various locks with keys?

Good dash, steering wheel, black front passenger seat, rear lower cushion seat.

I was told it will go to scrap next Tuesday 14th Sept. as the yard is too full of old cars.

There are two more 240k's in the yard, I didn't see them but was told one is a coupe the other a sedan, with various parts stored in them.

If you want me to chase anything up on these please let me know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!! ideally with a mobile contact so if they have what you want I can let you know the cost from the yard.

Regards,

Jim.

• 4 weeks later...

It was difficult to turn the key before now the key wont even turn!

so my car is stuck outside my house, I was just going to drive it inside the garage and my key wont turn the ignition lock anymore.

Anyone know if Nissan still sell 240K ignition lock/key? or if someone knows a compatible one?

is it easy to swap the ignition barrel? I heard there's like a security screws that breaks the head when you 1st install the ignition barrel so you cant take it off (only way is to drill them out) is this true with the 240Ks?

Cheers

I might do that but still prefer to replace the old one with new ignition lock cos it seems from the outside the lock itself is a little bit worn out

is it expensive to get someone to cut new key on site or is it wiser if I take the ignition off the car?

so do I have to drill it out?