IGNORED

Wrong Skyline

SER240Z

Hi Scott,

The 240K is a Skyline, C110 series.The "240K" tag was a product of export marketing '70's style. For Australia we first got the KHGC110 2 door fastback in 1973, initially as a Datsun 240K GT, almost identical to the Japanese domestic market Skyline GT of the same series. In 1974 the four door (HGC110)was introduced bearing the badgework "Datsun 240K GL" , same as the majority of the two doors. The name change from GT to GL apparently driven by the bad press of the times(early '70s) for performance cars in Australia and the fuel crisis internationally.

Regarding the C10 GT coupes (HGC10 & KHGC10)These were at the time ('70~'72) Japanese domestic market only, although a very few private imports have found their way here.

I have lotsa diecast examples, plastic kits, and plenty of pics . I've seen a couple on the 'net stateside...both white I think?

Yeah... as you can see I like 'em too!! any in your neighbourhood?? :classic:

Cheers, Jim.

Are you sure about that, Jim? I have documentation published by Nissan here from May 1973 (when the 240K was released??), talking about the arrival of the newest Datsun, the 240K GL. Interestingly, the pictures here don't have GL badges, just DATSUN.

Also, my car is a 1973 model, a 240K GL Hardtop. I haven't got ANY material to suggest the 240K GT even existed in Australia, but through friends (ZKid has given pictures to prove it even) I know of a few 240K GT's in Australia. So I'm not denying they came here in 2 versions in Australia... not that it matters much anyway, the GT and GL are virtually identical.

Have you got any magazine articles or anything with a test/details of the GT model? I'd like to see if you did, just for interest's sake! :bunny:

Are you sure about that, Jim? I have documentation published by Nissan here from May 1973 (when the 240K was released??), talking about the arrival of the newest Datsun, the 240K GL. Interestingly, the pictures here don't have GL badges, just DATSUN.

Also, my car is a 1973 model, a 240K GL Hardtop. I haven't got ANY material to suggest the 240K GT even existed in Australia, but through friends (ZKid has given pictures to prove it even) I know of a few 240K GT's in Australia. So I'm not denying they came here in 2 versions in Australia... not that it matters much anyway, the GT and GL are virtually identical.

Have you got any magazine articles or anything with a test/details of the GT model? I'd like to see if you did, just for interest's sake! :bunny:

Well.....I'm as sure as you can be relying on magazine articles Lachlan. One thing I've discovered researching cars is there will ALWAYS be an exception to the rule LOL

Take a look at

• WHEELS MAGAZINE March 1973

• SPORTS CAR WORLD April 1973 page 46

The WHEELS article even comments on the fact the car has 240K GT badges, but NISSAN insists the car will be sold as a GL.

Back to SPORTS CAR WORLD October 1973 (page 62)and in a comparison with a four door GTS 350 cu.in. Monaro the comment is made that the first cars they had to test were badged 240K GT, but the latest have GL badging outside but still have 240K GT inside!!

Like I said in my earlier post, these were nervous times for anyone trying to market a car in the political climate of the time with anything about it suggesting high performance. So NISSAN have done the " Wha'...? a GT? no, no squire! itsa GL mate...see? Beautiful plumage though eh!"(apologies to Monty Python!) :D

I've gathered the magazines I mentioned...yes there are photos of Datsun GT badged 240K's. I'll have a go at posting them, do they need to be hosted or can you copy 'em from the hard drive direct to the site?

As you point out, NISSAN didn't do anything official, magazine ads etc. that showed a GT badged car, just checking... the brochures I have show cars with the "DATSUN" script only.

I wouldn't go as far as betting me left balljoint but I reckon the only difference between a GT badged and a GL badged 240K, is just that...the badges! now the SKYLINE GT badged ones are a different matter LOL

Yours in research,

Jim.

:cheeky:

...but wait!...there's more! :P

MODERN MOTOR April 1973 page 21 ; A short article on the "NISSAN GT-R" (KPGC110) "The dash layout is almost identical (basically) to the new Datsun 240K -GT released in Australia last month

I dunno Lachlan, they shoulda just left 'em alone as GT's, waddaya reckon??

Cheers,

Jim.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for replying! It is curious to think just what Nissan was doing.. I've also read in some magazines about the "toning down" of the image with the "GL" badging

I had a look at the May 1973 Modern Motor, some awesome photographs in there huh! Couple of interesting points about the car. 1. It's got weird looking mirrors on both sides. 2. NO interior differences to the GL. I was under the impression the GT got a tape deck, but none there. 3. And of course like you mentioned, badged as a GT - referred to as a GL! Oddness.

This is a very early magazine, could it be that they got a very early car which was made before Nissan decided what exactly to call the car? This seems reasonable, since the other magazines you mentioned also come from early 1973 when the car was just being introduced...

I've got a MOTOR MANUAL from March 1973 here now. Some MORE interesting points. This car doesnt have GL or GT badging, but a small thin rectangle on the side where the "GT" or "GL" would usually be. Looks like a badge they put on their to cover the holes. In the article, it says GL. No mention of GT. The engine block has written on it (with a marker or something it looks) "HGAC" or "AGAC"... if that means anything to anyone.

ALSO in the article they mention the "C2" pack which includes air con, tape deck, automatic trans. This must be what I was thinking of before...

I also have the WHEELS from March 1973. I had a look at that too. It's a 240K GT alright! Notice no tape deck here either. Looks like the GT was exactly the same as the GL... engine has written on it "HG".

From what I can gather, Nissan brought out some early cars as "GT" and even some without badging (for test purposes or otherwise I guess), and then later only sold them as GL. It's strange...there's no denying the existance of the 240KGT, but I'd like to know WHERE it came in and for how long, and what were the differences (if any)!

Makes for some good researching though doesn't it. I tell you what though, if they'd just badged them all "GT" it'd make my life a bit easier! Still trying to find some side quarter "GT" badges in good nick for a decent price.