IGNORED

UltraSonic cleaning of hardware

hls30.com

Has anyone got any experience cleaning the nuts. bolts, and screws from a Z in an ultrasonic cleaner. I have tried using a cheepie unit from Harbor Freight, and even though the unit will shred a piece of aluminum foil(a common test of an ultrasonic cleaner) the chewing is highly localized, and not uniform enough for thorough cleaning of small parts.

If you have gotten satisfactory results, pass them along!

Thanks,

Will

I have used everything from hot distilled water with a few drops of fabric softener, to almost any consistancy of hot MarineClean, to the products sold by L&R and Branson. I believe this unit-also the most popular sold on ebay, is just not of enough quality to get the job done.

I am not opposed to spending some money on something that will work.

Will

My last experiance with metal bits, excepting jewelery which I work with daily, was the re-furbishment of my flat tops in the 260.

I typical use a splash or cleaning or cloudy ammonia and common dish washing liquid top up with boiling water.

No hard and fast formula here approx 50ml of each into a 500ml beaker, top up with hot water and into the sonic. Note I use a water bath as a medium, easier to maintain clean solutions.

Similarly, use a solvent, petrol thinners etc in a beaker with a water bath.

It may simply come down to the unit itself, not being powerful enough. For example I use a L&R T-9. Had it for 25 years, maybe longer. Have destroyed the transducer several times!

Hope it helps

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info, this one cleans jewelry-my wifes rings pretty well-at least she is happy with what it does-looks like the second tool that transitions from the workshop to the bedroom! No comment on the first!

I will get a better unit, and contact The mfrs for suggestions.

Will

I have tried putting them in the plastic basket, and suspending them with Fishing line and leader wire, and fine tunig the location.

I have just done some research, and it looks like a L&R AG150R or and AG200 with heat would be the right machines for what I want to clean-parts and household things.

What do you think?

Will

A heated unit usually is bigger [& more $$$$], however it can be more cost effective. Because I'm polishing with rouge, new solutions every few hours become mandatory, so it doesn't affect me as all new solutions are just off the boil and the sonic generates enough heat to maintain temp!

Although, I'm thinking your unit just isn't powerful enough.

Do you have an e-bay ref, so I can have a look. A picture is worth a 1000 words......

Like Clive's idea as Al is a mongrel to work with, must try!

Originally posted by hls30.com

..............looks like the second tool that transitions from the workshop to the bedroom! No comment on the first!

I will get a better unit, and contact The mfrs for suggestions.

Will

ROFL a better unit! O ' Gawd, Let me count the comments I could make.....................................:D