Wheel advice please... - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Wheel advice please...

Featured Replies

I have searched the forum for info on this, but could not find it.

I have the steel mag wheels for my 240, and they have gotten real dirty over time.

I was wondering what you guys have used to polish them up or clean them?

I wish to restore them to look new without making a whole day of it.

Is there a mag/wheel cleaner that you would recommend

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Marc.

with hub caps?

If so, the best route to take would be to get a drill with a wire brush and grind off all the paint and rust or corrision that is on the wheel itself.

Then, try as best you can to match the original color and repaint.

Now if it is an aluminum wheel I would sand, steel wool and then polish.

Originally posted by threefittyzee

I have the steel mag wheels for my 240, and they have gotten real dirty over time.

Marc.

If you mean the five-slots that are on the red Z in your gallery, they are aluminum not steel. In which case use an aluminum polish like Mother's, Blue Magic, etc. They're all pretty much the same chemicals. The rims pictured aren't as intricate as some others so they won't be as hard to polish. The more you buff them, the shinier they'll get. I actually like the results of hand buffing. I used my bench grinder with a buffing wheel (and many hours of work!) to polish a set of 'Iron Cross' ZX wheels to look like chrome. When I put them on my Z, I just didn't like the look. The hand polished look is more of a satin type shine which I feel suits the early Z better. Take a look at Victor Laury's car. Just my opinion.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.