IGNORED

Transmission shifter 4 to 5 speed swap

I am sticking a 1980 280zx 5 speed into my 1973 240z and was wondering if I will need to modify the shifter. I think I've read most of the posts but am still a bit confused. Some threads say great fit, others say you need to do some bending. If bending is needed, does someone have a pattern to use? I thought I saw something about that a while ago, but can't seem to find the info. Thanks, Victor.:ermm:

I put a late model 5 speed (shorter in length than original 4 spd)in my 1970 and it required trimming a little off the front of the tunnel opening, in addition to a modified shifter. This may be specific to the very early 240s as it seems the later 240s do not have the same clearance problem. I'm not sure now accurite this info is but I did have to mod my tunnel and shifter for a proper install.

This may be specific to the very early 240s as it seems the later 240s do not have the same clearance problem.

You are correct, Sir Tom.

Victor, You will have no problem installing any FS5C71B transmission from a 78 280Z, 810, 79 ~ 83 280ZX, except for those 280ZX Turbo models, fitted with the Borg Warner licensed T-5 transmissions. It is the T-5 unit that requires modifications to the shifter and driveshaft.

Here's my write-up of my install of a 1980 ZX 5 speed into my 72.

Vic's 5 Speed Adventure

Hey Victor,

You can imagine I was confussed, at first, when I installed my late model 5 spd, because every article I read said........"They just bolt right in without any mods!!!". Can you see me saying....Yah right!!? Of course later on I discovered that the later 240s did not require the mods. Live and learn! Anyway, with the 5 spd, 3.90 diff, and my 235-40x17s my Z accelorates very nicely concidering my L6 (2.8 litre) is internally stock.

Thanks everybody. Sounds like there should be no mods necessary with my installation. Excellent! Now I'll keep my fingers crossed that the tranny will at least shift into all 5 gears. I will put in new front, rear, and front plate seals, along with new shifter bushings and new speedo pinion o-rings before I install the 5 speed. Victor.

If you can find a 5 spd shifter from a 280 get it. The length of the pivot point to the bottom of the shifter ball is shorter on the 5 speed. And to keep the shifting smooth, get the "help" part number 38377 to replace the bushings. They are for a chrysler door hinge but works perfectly for our cars.