IGNORED

Side window rattles (240K)

Alfadog

Hey guys

My passenger window rattles a fair bit and so I took off the door panels today to see if I could tighten them up (the driver one does a wee bit too so I thought why not do them both at the same time).

Anyway, erm, now that the interior door panels are off, how do I tighten the window mechanism thing so my windows dont rattle? :stupid: :ermm:

By the way, if you haven't already I suggest you remove the rubber plugs which plug up the drain holes in the doors :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: Most of mine were already removed (thank goodness) but the ones in the middle of the door weren't. I also cleaned out the insides of the doors and the attached picture is what came out!!!

post-1243-14150793793178_thumb.jpg

Well i guess if they hold that much water, you know there isn't any little rust holes in them. I had handfulls of crud in mine, but no water luckily.

Why does the window rattle? Because it doesn't go up far enough, or because it is loose in the slide rail thingy, or because the frame with the teeth that moves the windows up and down had sideways play in it?

It might be a case of having to replace something. If there isn't any way to adjust it. I had problems on my Z and all I could do was move the raising/lowering bit around slightly. My windows are still a bit loose unless they are wound right up. The rubber strip in the window frame has worn over the last 30 years allowing some movement. Only 1 thing I can do about it.

Good luck.

Hey AlfaDog,

By the sounds of it , you need to replace what I think is called the "Bailey channels" the black felt/rubber channels that the glass slided in as it goes up or down. Replacement rubber suppliers like Spectrum Rubber & Panels(found them at restorershotline.com.au) or Scotts old auto rubber and panels? Worth a try.

Regards,

Jim.

Spectrum

Scotts

Alright! Now I know allllll about the insides of the doors.... ROFL

I took the whole thing apart, and gave the glass a good clean while it was out. You were right Jim, the little plastic pieces which fitted onto the glass were a bit bent. Since I don't have a garage and really needed to get it all back together ASAP, I just wrapped tape around the edges to thicken the ... thingy... It's hard to explain!! It's just fixed.

And I also fixed the lock on the drivers side which didn't lock from the inside. Also, the drivers window was hard to roll down, fixed that too! I'm quite proud. I bought some sound-deadening material, so tomorrow I will see if there's enough room behind the interior door panels for some of that.

Now, the real test is to see how long before the problems start happening again ROFL

Lachlan.

post-1243-14150793795233_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

ahahah i had the same problem with my passanger side window! i was taking the trim off of my doors to fit sentral locking and i thought while i was at it i would check out why it was rattling.

the little rubber/felt guide padding things werent in where they were meant to be, instead they were lying bent in the bottom of my door panel! it must have been when the window was replaced a fair while back before i had the car (my sister owned it before me and i got it for free :D:D)

but i didnt have to source any part, however they shouldnt be too hard to find

have fun :P