IGNORED

How to open hatch without key?

Murph

When I bought my 260 2+2 parts car the prev owners couldn't find the key for the hatch. Now what I am wondering is how can I open it? If I have to destroy the lock in the process so be it, now good without a key is it.

Just had a somewhat obvious idea. Get a locksmith out! :stupid: :D

Any other ideas? Ways I can do it myself?

I has a similar problem with my parts car. The lock was seized up.

What you could do is get at the lock from inside the car, pull the tailgate panel off, and press the latch down from the inside with a screwdriver (you dont need a key).

Or if its seized or you cant get the panel off you can do what i did:

Pull out the licence plate light off.

unscrew the latch bolts completely

Lift the hatch up as far as it will go (an inch or 2 is the most it will open with the latch still in the clampy bit), and wedge it open.

Unscrew the bolts holding the clamping bit to the tail gate.

Hey presto the hatch is open.

This takes ages, as you can oly turn the bolts a tiny amount at a time.

Just a thought but are the door keys the same as the hatch on a 2+2? ( assuming of course that you have the door key and a previous owner hasn't changed them so that they are different to the hatch)

Removing a door lock is a lot easier than removing a hatch lock, and an auto lock smith can make you up a key for the door lock which you might then be able to use on the hatch.

You might however not want to go the the expense on a parts car and do what Gav says.

edit: oops : do what MR CAMOUFLAGE says apologies to Mr Camouflage

Hope it helps

Andrew

Originally posted by Mr Camouflage

What you could do is get at the lock from inside the car, pull the tailgate panel off, and press the latch down from the inside with a screwdriver (you dont need a key).

This would be what i'd try first ;).

You can remove the lock by yanking out the U shaped clip that holds the lock in the hatch, but that wont get the hatch open.

It might get you better access to the latch mechanism, but latch is seperate from the lock, so just removing the lock wont make the hatch open.