IGNORED

Engine Hesitation

Razor

Hi

I'm having engine hesitation its very obvious when engine's cold

when the temp gauge/water gauge is somewhere on the middle area its seems ok but still does it if you put your foot on the accelerator pedal quick like take off at the trraffic lights.

I got new spark plugs

carb was rebuilt/serviced last year

vacuum leak?

idle setting? when its cold it revs 600RPM but when its warm it seems to rev just fine

changing the fuel filter this afternoon see how it goes...

any ideas will be great

thanks

there is something wrong with my tranny as I posted in different thread its like the reverse is slipping on slight slope.

car wont move when I try reversing on a slight slope meaning reversing uphill. Car will just rev and it feels like you're breaking

Originally posted by Razor

Hi

I'm having engine hesitation its very obvious when engine's cold

when the temp gauge/water gauge is somewhere on the middle area its seems ok but still does it if you put your foot on the accelerator pedal quick like take off at the trraffic lights.

I got new spark plugs

carb was rebuilt/serviced last year

vacuum leak?

idle setting? when its cold it revs 600RPM but when its warm it seems to rev just fine

changing the fuel filter this afternoon see how it goes...

any ideas will be great

thanks

Sounds like a timing issue to me if she's hesitating when hot when you stomp the gas firmer than normal.

Sounds like you just need to let the engine warm up . Untill it does it requiers a richer mixture of fuel this is why the choke is used , or suposed to be used. As for the trans. there are no "belts" in the trans. If it is slipping then you need to find a good trans. repair shop. One thing that might help you with the off the line stumble is to use 20wt oil in the carbs. this will cause the piston in the carb to rise just a slight bit slower allowing for a richer mixture of fuel . This is only for a instant but enough to cure a lean mixture start stumble. One thing , just because the temp gague reads in the the middle , this is only a reading at the sensor at the thermostat and is not necessarly tilling you that the engine is at normal running temp. It takes a while to warm the entire engine , use the choke untill the engine no longer needs it. You will find that as the engine warms you can slowly move the choke leaver foward untill the engine is at temp and the choke is off completely.

Originally posted by kyteler

Sounds like a timing issue to me if she's hesitating when hot when you stomp the gas firmer than normal.

I have this problem!! Great fun. Can you set the timing yourself or is it just something a mechanic should do in a normal service?

Originally posted by Alfadog

I have this problem!! Great fun. Can you set the timing yourself or is it just something a mechanic should do in a normal service?

You can set the timing yourself, get a timing gun if you dont have one, they're always a handy thing if you're planning on doing work to the car yourself.

Check for the timing notch on the pulley, give it a bit of a wipe and put a dab of whiteout in it.

Attach the timing light to number 1 plug and shine it towards the wee timing degree plate on the dizzy side of the engine.

The dot of whiteout whould reflect the light back nice enough to see whereabouts it's sitting... (Im pretty sure the car should be at operating temperature when you're doing this btw, if it's not the case someone will correct me no doubt.)

There should be a bolt on the dizzy that you undo enough to be able to twist the dizzy and there should also be a wee graph on there with A(dvance) and R(etard), being you've put twin SU's on yours Lachlan I would have assumed they adjusted the timing slightly for the different amount of fuel that would be getting into the engine over the standard Hitachi 2BBL, or did you just slap it on? If you'd rather just tell your mechanic that it hesitates when you stomp the gas they'll probably just adjust the timing for you it doesnt take too long.

It's also handy to have a vacuum guage to attach at the same time so you can be sure you're getting optimum vacuum at the set timing.

I've probably missed stuff out too.. :D oh well, please anyone feel free to jump in and tell me I'm making stuff up :)

Michael got it spot on! regarding timing

I got a timing gun if you're around brisbane lachlan you can borrow it.

I am using 20w/40 or 50? cant remember but definetely 20wt

What is the right BTDC for the stock 240K L24 engine? is it 7 degrees?

and RPM? is it 750 RPM?