Is this unsafe to drive? - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Is this unsafe to drive?

Featured Replies

The bad news, the answer to your question would be, yes. That would be pretty dangerous. This is the rust you can see. Imagine how much you can't see. You could hit a bump on the road and loose it. The frame rails look like they are gone along with the floor boards. Take a small tip screwdriver and start poking, push it against the metal and see if you can push it through.

The good news, believe it or not but that is repairable.:classic:

Aw come on man. Those are rails are a Z standard! Go to Harbor Freight pick up a welder and a grinder. Next go to Zed Findings and pick up a set of floor pans and rails. Learn to weld or get rid of the car.....Please don't blow yourself up beacuse there are some fuel lines on the passenger side. I own a rust monster too. If you have the patience and can fix it. Don't hit any bumps intil you do! LOL

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I poked most of it before I took the pics.Its mostly on the passenger side.If I look harder I can probably find some on the driver side but not as bad as passenger side.

I was taught somewhat of welding from a friend but dont have a welder.But for now I have another friend who can weld for me.

Thanks for all the help guys!!! I really just want to see what happens on a big speed bump.common.dont you?! haha

  • Author

Oh.Since they only sell floor/rails. What metal do you reccomend to fix the firewall/battery tray? I'll just trash the battery tray but need to fix the whole it left.haha

If the doors aren't binding, I might move the car under its' own power to get it to a place to work on it, but no way I would drive it more than that until some structural repairs have been made. To many stresses in a moving car to trust the rust to hold it together!

Will

I buy sheet metal from a automotive paint supply store then cut out the old and weld in the new. Sounds easy but welding sheet metal sucks.

I am just finishing up that job. Good news is it only took a couple of weeks to do (pretty steady work during my spare time, I don't sleep much :)). I'll post some pics of the finished work in a few days to inspire you.

The bad news is the passenger side is so much stiffer than the drivers side now. So even though there is no rust, I'm going to do the drivers side too.

Best solution for the battery tray area is to find a donor. Although a bit hard to come by they can be found, especially in the drier climates. St. Stephen just finished that repair in his and has pics in his gallery.

I'll be doing mine this summer and will post pics as well.

Finding a donor with a good passenger battery tray/firewall/frame rail area would present a major dilemma - if the donor was that good, it is probably a better car than the one you are trying to fix!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.