IGNORED

Replacement Rear Covers for Headlamps?

TomoHawk

26029-E4600 COVER-HEAD LAMP (RUBBER) Qty. req. 2

That's the part if you are reffering to the rubber covers that go over the prongs on the headlights before you plug the connector in. I belive that they were on all Z cars originally but may have been lost in the shuffle over the years.

Thanks for that info. Cloe mentioned those rubbers to me on the phone.

BUT, the covers I am looking for are a hard plastic thing like a bowl that goes inside the fender behind the headlight assy, and attaches to the fender with some pronged pins, like door panels. Probably protects the headlight from rocks & stuff. I'm considering that it might be something that somebody bodged in there, but it looked so good that I thought it was a factory part. It was just covered with undercoating and was starting to crack.

thx.

sorry no pic on that.

In the early 280, with the "sugar scoop" headlamps, and the same fender from 240 on, the front headlights had a metal "acorn" or cup that held the headlamp, holder and adjusting mechanism attached to it. The wiring also went through a hole in the acorn. These then were mounted to the backside of the front fender with a rubber gasket.

I don't recall right off the top of my head if it's the fender that holds the screws for the acorn or the other way around, but there were no Plastic acorns to the best of my knowledge.

2¢

Enrique

Tomohawk, are you talking about a clear or smoked plastic headlignt cover? I don't mean the aerodynamic type that you see on many Zs but the type that is round and fits over the lignt itself? I used to have some of those on my truck but they were aftermarket.

I believe that he's talking about the front inner fender covers that I also believe only came on 78, and maybe 77 280Z's. The '78 parts car I took apart had them (and I still have them). The new '78 CA car that I have does not. They are plastic liners that cover all the way from the headlight bucket, go along the top of the fender (inside) and then back down along the rear of the fender well. They are attached to the inside of the fender with small bolts, which are still there in my CA car, so I assume it originally had the plastic liners, but they are now gone. The plastic liners I have are in mediocre shape, and I figure on trying to figure out how to fix the cracks and use them on the CA car, but it isn't a priority. Shall I take pictures?

Originally posted by Victor Laury

Tomohawk, Is this part illustrated on the parts-fiche CD?

I don't see what I am talking about in my last post, although there seem to be some similar parts around 63830-N4200 on fiche 126-7. Looks like there were some changes over time, but there were protectors under the fender from about 1976 on.