Recommendations on replacement ignition - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Recommendations on replacement ignition

Featured Replies

I'm looking at replacing the stock ignition system on my '73 and am pondering a Euro system, Mallory/MSD, or a setup from a 280.

Any experiences/horror stories you want to share would be appreciated.

Alot of guys use the PERTRONIX unit. It installs in your stock distributor and is a magnetic trigger type unit. I went for the Mallory Unilite setup. You may want to search the archives for details and or reviews.

I used a Distributor from a 81, 280ZX. No problems. Do your homework before you start cutting wires.

I know the Pertronix system won't handle the fuel management, but is there something that will work ALONG WITH the Pertronix system and the stock AFM on a 280Z? May a Pertronix fuel management computer? I think it would be in my best interest to upgrade/replace everything eventually.

thx.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Quick, easy, very cheap and bolts right in easily.

If you know what your doing you could be running in less then 20 minutes.

Also, you can get a newly remaned distributor for the 79-80 ZX from advanced auto for about 79 dollars with a lifetime gaurantee.

Price may have went up though since last time I did that it was about 3 years ago.

I will still be needing a fuel computer eventually with all new injectorwiring...

Remanufactured distributors..................can you say JUNK!!!! Especially from Advanced Auto The story is to frustrating to repeat.

Never ever had a problem with mine in the year that I had the car, till a no paying attention to what she was doing girl in a Neon of all things backed into my 72 and ruined it for life!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.