IGNORED

Modifications

MikeT73

I have about a grand to spend on mods. I need input on the following. Electronic ignition, Headers, Carb filters and Grose Jets,exhaust pipes, tuned exhaust, spark plugs(split fire?) and wires. Positive or negative comments welcomed. Regards, Mike.

All of the above, with the exception of the Splitfires... get a set of NGK's, Splitfires aren't worth the money.

I'd start with the ignition upgrades first, then the carbs and finish with a header and exhaust. A Jet Hot coated header would be best, but may bust your budget by a hundred or so by the time you get all of the parts.

Ignition- first choice would be the Pertonix

Carb filters would be K&N's, either individual or the stock replacement.

Plugs, definately NGK's.

Wires- 8.8mm, most any name brand is fine.

Exhaust- 2 to 2 1/2 inch with a "Turbo" style muffler

Headers- depends on budget.

Grose jets and a ZTherapy tune up video and perhaps a rebuild kit.

Find a good mechanic and have him do a good tune-up. You'd be surprised how spunky the Z can be without all those performance mods.

By this I mean get your valves adjusted, have the brakes checked / repaired, get a set of tires that will make the ride better, check / replace shocks, lube the car. You get my drift. I would recommend you do this BEFORE you start modifying.

I'm not opposed to mods, but let's face it, you rarely get the opportunity to go 100+ mph and worst of all it's dangerous and illegal. If that's your bag of tricks ... go for it. However, be advised that the majority of "help!" calls people post are of the "I added a thing-a-ma-jig and now I'm having serious problems." type.

So, if your car is absolutely perfect mechanically, and you still hanker for that extra oomph, then go for it.

However, have you considered that MOST of the time that you will be showing off your car, it will be ....STOPPED? With that in mind, I would recommend making sure that the car LOOKS cherry. Get the seats recovered, if they're like the majority of 30+ year old seats, all torn and delapidated. Get the paint polished.

Again, if the mods are required for your enjoyment, then 2mZ has good input. Personally, I've seen too many souped up cars in the .... junkyard or wrapped around a tree.

2¢

Enrique