IGNORED

Welder

mriz

I'm getting ready to cut out the rust and weld in new metal. This is my first restoration project and I am going to DIY no matter what. I could use some advice on a welder purchase keeping in mind I only have 100 amp service. The frame rails are in great shape so I only have to weld body panels and rockers.

Thanks

Jim M.

Jim,

Bravo.

I wish I had more time to attempt something like that on my Z's. A friend of mine bought a Miller ten years ago and has been happy with its dependability and low operating costs. He used it to convert his rubber bumpered MGB to early chrome bumpers (lots of fab. work) as well as to weld in new floors and rocker panels. It has also done duty under a few of my old Z's. It is a bit tricky for a novice when it comes to learning wire feed speed and adjusting amperage to avoid blowing through that which you are trying to renew.

When I was serious about learning the craft I used to practice writing obscene words on sheet steel and I thought it helped out quite alot. I would also recommend using 3M's weld through coat and always remember to clean back to bare metal before beginning a new weld.

If you can swing it a plasma cutter will do wonders for saving time cutting out all of the old metal. A friend of mine at Datsun Dynamics has such a beast and it does amazing things. He removed the entire floor and floor supports from a 240Z in less than one hour.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info . Plasma cutter is out of budget , using drmel and bad words for the time being. I will have to remember to clean the back first ,forgot about that . welder shopping this week.

Thanks

If you do a search with the keywords "mig welder" you'll find a ton of posts on the subject of which welder to buy, and tips on how to weld the patch panels in.

Best advice I can give is to practice, practice, practice on scrap metal the same thickness as you'll be welding before you attempt to do the repairs to the car. Less chance of mistakes, and a lot less grinding to fix your mistakes that way. Go to the junkyard if you have to and buy an old hood or door to practice on if you have to, it will be money well spent.

When you get through with what 2manyzs said, do it again!

I bought a dual amperage wire-feed at Sams 7 years ago. It can use a gas kit for more flexibility, but uses flux-core wire for now. The welder was about $300. and will take care of autobody sheetmetal easily. Harbor Freight has several less-expensive wire-feed welders as well.

Will