IGNORED

Historic Rally Monte Carlo 2004

Z-point

I was reading about this historic rally in the May 2004 "MiniWorld" magazine and it stated that the highest placed UK team was of Tony Fall and Mike Kempley in a 240Z. They placed 53rd out of 276 that completed the rally; there were 351 entrants. Their car number is no. 45. I was trying to open one of the pictures of the car, but the page had expired. It is a red zed with no black hood and it has a drop bumper with 2 huge night driving lights.

Ben

Originally posted by Z-point

Hè Benny boys,

Ben, if can’t open the page how do you know what kind of car it is? here is a picture of the MC Datsun of Toni Fall and it sure isn’t the same as the EAS Datsun.

From memory there were 2 240Z's in the EAS, one of which had a lot of works, or work replica parts on them (and broke an axle) and the other went on to win the event. I suspected that the MC Z may have been the same car as the drop-down front bumpers are very rare.

Hi Ben,

You know about the Australian-built Z on this year's Safari - so no need to tell you about that - but the other one was UK-built ( by Duncan Pearcey of "The Z Farm" ) and I don't think it had any Works parts on it.

The drop-bumpers ( also known as "Monte Carlo" bumpers ) are indeed very rare. I don't know of a genuine one in current use on a Historic Rally privateer Z. Certainly the one on the UK-built Safari car was not a genuine Works or Option drop bumper.

If I remember correctly, the car driven on the Historic Monte this year by Tony Fall and Mike Kempley actually belongs to Mike Kempley. I don't think it has any Works parts on it ( as far as I remember ) and the drop bumper is a home-made item.

Tony Fall has his own - UK-built - Historic Rally 240Z ( another red one, but with the black bonnet ) but he didn't drive it on this year's Historic Monte. He drove Mike Kempley's car instead.

As far as I remember, anyway.

Alan T.