IGNORED

Arduino starter Kits

TomoHawk

The Arduino thing looks like it could be a bit of fun.  I think I will give serious though to  getting some of the stuff, after I pay off some debts from the bodywork, but the available information (Youtube videos and Arduino websites) seems more like hype than help.  It basically just tells you how wonderful it is, and you should get one too.  But personally,  I'm not even sure of which questions to ask, so I will ask those here who have or are using the Arduino stuff,  what they would recommend to buy for the beginner.  I have experience in making PCBs and C style programming, so you can get technical, if you'd like.

I suppose "how much should I expect to spend" would be one question.  Will the thing take over my life?  Do the projects always get really complicated, or can you do some useful or fun things with only a few parts?  Do you run out of capability with a "basic kit" and have to buy the deluxe one right away?  Does every project require loads of programming or can you do something with just connecting some parts together, like on a PCB? Can you record data somehow?  I would probably prefer to connect it to android tablet when it's not on the workbench (when driving around)

One thing that comes to mind would be an exhaust analyzer or a tachometer.   Things that you ca do to calibrate the gauges or get the engine running efficiently.

thxZ

Another alternative is made by Parallax called a Basic Stamp. The difference is, as you might expect, that their products have a tiny basic interpreter included. Makes programming a lot easier. I used one to construct an automated product tester integrating solenoid valves, a digital scale, etc.

https://www.parallax.com/catalog/microcontrollers/basic-stamp

I've used both Basic Stamp and Arduino. I've found the Arduino to be quite useful for home automation projects. The free development environment is great, with decent debugging capabilities. I've built a stop light controller and a hot water recirculation pump controller with them. Arduino has tons of aftermarket support for relays, communication modules, wireless technology, motor control and networking. People have used Arduinos to build three-axis CNC machine controllers. I've wondered if it could be used as an open source EFI controller. I'd love for someone to give it a shot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

the_tool_man, I poked around a little with the concept of using it for an EFI controller. One of the early problems I ran into is that there is a lot of support software downloaded to the device (to make it Arduino) that I'm not comfortable having in a finished piece. If I'm going to trust the reliability of my car to something like that, I want to know what each and every line of code is doing. And with all the overhead and debugging code (that I didn't write) that's required to be in the device, I can't be that sure.

That's one of the tradeoffs for being easy to use.

13 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

the_tool_man, I poked around a little with the concept of using it for an EFI controller. One of the early problems I ran into is that there is a lot of support software downloaded to the device (to make it Arduino) that I'm not comfortable having in a finished piece. If I'm going to trust the reliability of my car to something like that, I want to know what each and every line of code is doing. And with all the overhead and debugging code (that I didn't write) that's required to be in the device, I can't be that sure.

That's one of the tradeoffs for being easy to use.

Good point.  I haven't delved that deeply into it.  But Arduino has several different versions, with different form factors and processors.  I can understand having reservations about using it in such a critical system in a car.  My other concern would be whether or not the Arduino platform is physically rugged enough to withstand vibration and environmental harshness found in a car under daily use.  I recall there is a ruggedized version.  But I haven't done much research, to be honest.  One use that would be ideal for the architecture, and not "operationally critical" would be to add modern features to an older car.  For example, you could use an RF remote control to lock/unlock the doors, or have the reverse lamps come on as courtesy lamps when you exit, etc..  The possibilities are endless.  And you can buy the controllers for less than $30.  Relay boards are under $15.

The most complex thing I can think of right now is an  Air-Fuel ratio analyzer, which might help you to  build an ECU.  It shouldn't be too difficult once you find a sensor that can sense fuel density in air. There are already oxygen sensors available.  IMO, using an "oxygen sensor" in the exhaust stream doesn't qualify as a Ar-Fuel ratio sensor, because it doesn't detect fuel!  I can't believe all those people on Youtube, as well as 'tuners' who think an oxygen sensor in the exhaust can tell you the air-to-fuel radio is in the intake airstream.

Edited by TomoHawk

I decided against the Basic Stamp microcontroller because it doesn't have the built in A-D or D-A converters.  It's not to difficult to add them, but it does increase the footprint pf the basic board, plud whatever else you want to connect.