IGNORED

Won't go into gear

Cutlass372

The picture that sblake01 posted, was originally done by Eric Neyerlin I believe - - but it can be misleading as the various throw-out bearing sleeves are labeled with transmission types in that image. The type of transmission has nothing to do with it. All the transmissions have the same length input shafts.

The throw-out bearing sleeve lengths, are designed to match the thickness of the various clutch pressure plates. The thickest was the original 240-Z Pressure Plate, with later ones being make thinner. Almost all "replacement" pressure plates that you buy today, are of the thinner type. Note that I said "almost" - some aftermarket manufacturers still sell the original thicker type, but it's rare.

So if you need a new clutch assembly - for a 240Z - order both the 280Z Pressure Plate and the 280ZX throw-out bearing sleeve.

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150803184703_thumb.jpg

Hi Carl, So what you're saying is if one is replacing a clutch assy. in the 240Z one should use a 280Z assy (disc, pressure plate, t/o bearing and collar)? Is it better? Stronger? The reason I ask is if you look at my post about clutches I'm asking this very question. I'm confused. (even more than usual).

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Carl. That is Eric's pic. I was going to do what you did to it but I really just wanted to show the different lengths. Mike, I don't think any of them are 'better/stronger' than the others. It's just causes problems if you mix and match.

Hi Carl' date=' So what you're saying is if one is replacing a clutch assy. in the 240Z one should use a 280Z assy (disc, pressure plate, t/o bearing and collar)? Is it better? Stronger? The reason I ask is if you look at my post about clutches I'm asking this very question. I'm confused. (even more than usual).

Cheers, Mike[/quote']

Hi Mike:

Yes. The original clutch Pressure Plate used in the 240-Z's was thicker - so it needed the shorter sleeve. If you order a Clutch Pressure Plate for a Datsun 240-Z today, from your Nissan Dealer (as well as most aftermarket sources here in the US) you will get a Pressure Plate that "fits" 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX models. Over the years all sources have consolidated what were many different parts - into one part, that does the job for all. That one part is actually the 280Z Pressure Plate.

If you are dealing with a knowledgeable Nissan Parts Counterman - they will tell you to order the 280Z throw-out bearing sleeve, when you order a new Clutch Pressure Plate for the 240-Z - - because they know they don't actually get the old style 240Z parts any longer...

Yes - the 280Z Pressure Plate has greater clamping force than the original 240Z Pressure Plates. The 280Z Pressure Plate has less clamping force than the 280Z / ZX 2+2 unit - but to use the 2+2 Clutch Assy. you need to install the flywheel from the 2+2 (it is a larger diameter machined surface for a larger diameter clutch disc and Pressure Plate...

For anything other than all out racing - dollar for dollar it's hard to beat the OEM 280Z Clutch Assy (Pressure Plate + Clutch Disc). For Drag Racing the 2+2 set up offers a little more durability and higher clamping force.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thank you Carl, I am no longer confused. Now the question is: should I order the clutch assy. from MSA (they say O.E.M."type") or should I try to order it through my local Nissan dealer? Mike

My car does have the adjustable rod. Also after a ride around, I came home and while messing around I didnt realize I was in gear and basically dumped the clutch in 2nd gear. The car obviously stalled out and when I went to start it again all I got was clicking.. I can hear clicking coming from the engine bay so that tells me the starter is doing something, but the car wont crank. I tryed bridging the spade connection with the positive and got it to crank one time, but every other time I tried it would just click. I left the car alone and recently tried again. The car cranked once but didnt start and just started clicking again. What would this be now...?

^^ Anyone have some thoughts on that? I'm thinking its the solenoid, but im not sure. If the clicking is making it all the way to the starter then that mean that my ignition is doing its thing. What are your thoughts? It seems like everytime I fix something another thing breaks..

Thank you Carl' date=' I am no longer confused. Now the question is: should I order the clutch assy. from MSA (they say O.E.M."type") or should I try to order it through my local Nissan dealer? Mike[/quote']

Personally - I order all my OEM Parts from Courtesy Nissan, have been dealing with them for decades now.. Some of the guys in the Parts Dept. actually owned/drove 240-Z's for years - so they know their stuff. If you are happy with your local dealer - and they are competitive on price - I'd use them.

Changing the clutch is no fun - so I only want to do it once per car... so I pay the extra money up front for OEM parts in that case.

FWIW,

Carl B.