IGNORED

parking brake self adjuster locking up drum

waynekarnes

at first i thought that might be an issue, that the RWC wasn't supposed to move, and thus, that was the problem.

''

i checked the manual, it specifies, when replacing the RWC, be sure to grease the area where the RWC mounts to the backing plate, and grease the RWC, so that it is free to slide.

''

completely countered my thoughts, of trying to hammer the wedges in tighter, to hold the RWC in place.

i did move the RWC, forward and backwards, didn't seem to make any difference in the way the actuator approached the wheel.

the only thing i can see makes a difference, is how much the acuator is allowed to returned to rest. the closer it is to the backing plate, under the RWC, the more likely it is to contact the wheel. if the acuator is slightly activated, moved away from the backing plate, it skips 2 teeth on the wheel, only partially contacts, the wheel. when this happens, it only turns one notch, instead of 3.

thing is, for this to happen, to get that clearance, the parking brake has to be partially on, and the shoes engaged into the drum, so that doesn't seem to be the solution.

thanks for your thoughts, suggestions, keep em coming, wayne

Well I put my rear brake together and tried to figure it out. Sorry to stay I was wrong in my earlier post:stupid: . It does look like the actuator sits agains the RWC at rest holding the adjusting "star" screw in place. The only time the adjusting screw doesn't have anything preventing it from returning is when the E brake is fully engaged.

In other words the actuator sits agains the RWC. When the E brake is activated the actuator moves the adjuster to take out any slack. When the E brake is fully engaged the actuator's flat area is in contact with the adjuster thus allowing the adjuster to slacken. Somehow your adjuster continues to tighten. I've included a picture hoping you could find something different.

Good luck.

post-1052-14150793474801_thumb.jpg

yeah, that's the stuff ! spent a couple hours messing with it earlier today.

i replaced everything in there, about 4 miles ago. i did all the work, myself.

as i say, the driver's side works fine. only having issues with the passenger side.

the cable appears to be working fine, i had my son pull and release the parking brake, releases completely. i tried the cable with it disconnected. it moves freely.

i'm sure, that once the shoes are against the drum, properly adjusted, that that acuator is supposed to slip past that adjustment wheel. for some reason, it's not doing that, instead, it just keeps tightening.

wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Marty, i was hoping it was that simple. i had the drum off, my son pressed the brake pedal, released the pedal. shoes move in and out, just like they are supposed to.

the shoes don't hang out there, off the adjuster, rather, the adjuster is ran most of the way out, forcing the shoes against the drum.

right now the z is registered as, non operational.

gotta wait another couple weeks, so i can register the z, if i pay too soon, will be paying for last year's fees, and this years in march.

it's been raining, haven't had a chance to look at it anymore than i already have. once i get it registered and the rain slows, to where we have a few dry days in a row; it has been suggested that i drive the z, don't use the parking brake, see if it still does it ... if cylinder is built wrong, may be hyper extending and causing the adjuster to move.

if no problems, then it's some where in the parking brake system.

the cable is free and breezy. adjustment seems to be correct. the wheel cylinder is new, the shoes , the drum, the springs, everything with the exception of the backing plate is new. everything is lubed, the correct lube, in the correct places.

keep the ideas and possible solutions coming, i'm at a loss here, for reasons,

wayne

• 14 years later...