IGNORED

best engine managment

pdxvento

im wondering what you guys think is the best engine management system for L series motors if you plan on making high horse power? ive heard AEM is good, but how good can a universal system be? if you could shed any light on this subject that would be great. thanks a ton

jason

Stand alone ignition/engine management set ups are the best. User programable and gives you many options for engine set ups. I like the Electromotive set up. Look them up on the web. I've seen some last gen TEC II's selling used with laptops all sensors and instructions for $900 to just over 1G. :devious:

• 3 weeks later...

When you look at the Different systems out there (Motec, Holley, DFI...) look at the specific parameters that are adjustable, (Injector pulse, ignition timing, IAC opening, Waste gate bleed...), the parameters that are read, (O2, Detonation, cyl head temp, Map/MAF,...), the ease of programming, the ease of installation, and the availability of sensors and replacement parts. Many of the systems are well made and do a great job of controlling the engine. Some of them even have the ability to manipulate your progaming parameters to super-tune performance.

After considering all of the above, I chose to go with a transplanted GM system. This is not an option for the faint of heart. It has been dificult to get all of the info I needed, but I have accumulated everything I need-except enough time-and I am grafting the sensors and the controls to the L28ET. The GM system gives more control over more systems, and has the ability to continually fine tune, and learn how you use your right foot. It has been proven for millions and millians more miles than all of the other systems combined. All of the sensors, and the ecm are on the shelf at Napa, and readily available at all local retailers and GM Dealers. The Wiring is completely documented(connectors are waterproof and available for customization), and the Datalogging is absolutely the best available. There are even seven unused control channels to give the ability to tie supplemental additional feature controls(Nitrous, water injection, intercooler spray, a2w pump control-to name a few) into the ecm. Best of all the parts are cheep!

I have about $1700 in the whole system- the programming hardware(including a new laptop) /software, the ecm, harness, sensors, and controls. I will be duplicating the system on three cars, the additionsal cost of each one will be less than $350(ecm, harness, sensors and controls & addl. parts) because I do not have to duplicate any of the tuning or data logging hadware and software.

There are cheeper-and perhapse better systems out there-this is what I chose after three months of intensive research, and a big part of why.

• 5 years later...