Headliner fall out - Page 2 - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Headliner fall out

Featured Replies

The foam is what the fabric is bonded to. It dries out and turns into a sand like gunk. You can't glue sand. When removing the headliner I put a large plastic tarp in the car. That foam and glue make a "gorilla snot" Vacuum often.

3M "77" is good but 3M also makes a Super Trim Adhesive which is better for headliners, heavy fabrics or underhood insulation in high heat locations. Usually available at most body shop suppliers and sometimes at Advance Auto or Autozone. Also John Deere make a heat resistant spray Headliner and Trim Adhesive available at most John Deere dealers. I've used this on my '77 Z for years on headliner, trim pieces, emblems and weather strip. It works great.

  • 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem in my ZX, and I took out the headliner panel. sanded all of the old foam off, coated the chipboard material with POR15 to make it waterproof, and osed 3M weldwood contact cement to glue carpet to it-and reinstalled teh panel. It has been almost 2 years, and the carpet has not fallen-Coastal South Georgia, 95+% humidity and temperature variations from 24 to 101 degrees F! I used the same carpet that I used on the floor-It actually looks good! I will put a picture in my gallery

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.