IGNORED

Pricing a '71 240z

dwschwartz

Hello all!

A friend of mine has asked me to help her sell her mother's '71 240z but I have no idea how to price it. A quick scan on collectorcartraderonline.com shows a price range from $1,700 to $12,900-needless to say quite a range! This is an original car, literally driven by what is now a little old lady. It has around 106k miles and has been repainted once, probably in the late 80s.

Any advice, suggestions, ideas how to fairly price this vehicle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

David in Seattle

If a picture is possible that would help greatly. In fact a picture here might find you a buyer since most everyone here is more interested in the 240 series.

The pricing can be over a wide range depending on the condition of the car because so many early cars have been neglected. A few examples of this would be does the chassis have any rust? Does everything work? Has it been kept covered or out in a field? How long since it was last driven regularly? Is it in original condition? How is the interior? That's just a few of the questions and the answers will have a lot to do with just how much the car may be worth.

Yeah you really do need to see the car before you can say how much it might be worth !

$12,900 USD? Geeee that's a fair bit... in Australia the most you'd pay for one is about 8000 or 9000 USD...

Well at least from what I've seen...

I'll take it off you hands for say $500 just so you don't have to deal with all this complicated stuff! ;)

Pictures would really help if you want some educated guesses for where to start pricing. Also, if you look in the drivers door jam and give us the production month/year that would really help too! In '71 Datsun/Nissan produced three significantly different 240 model cars.

Sounds like it could be a very interesting car!

Alphadog, do you have the production date? This should tell you if you have a series 1 or 2. Also an easy way to tell is the hatch vents, on the hatch is a series 1, no vents on hatch but ones on the c-pillar is a series 2. There are many other little variations but that is the most noticeable. There is a thread here, I believe it is "what year do I have, and which emblems do I need" that list most if not all the differences. I believe it is under Help Me.

All,

Thanks for your comments so far. Royce, I especially appreciate your generous offer to take the car off my hands, but I think I’ll go my own way for now! :rolleyes:

So I finally got a chance to take a good look at the car today and while it's not as mint as I had been led to believe, it’s still a very nice daily driver that could be upgraded pretty easily.

The car has 105,852 original miles. Its owner is an 82-year-old woman (literally a little old lady) who purchased it new. She doesn’t drive much anymore so the car hasn’t gotten a lot of use the past five years. Although its been stored in a garage during these years, there’s still some rust, most notably in the rear hatch area. The dash is cracked (typical) but everything seems to be working just fine. There are also two snow tires, chains and some OEM parts available.

Hmmm, I can’t think of much else, so why don’t I just give you the URL so you can check out the pictures yourself.

As always, thanks for your thoughts/suggestions/ideas and of course, offers to purchase.

All the best,

David in Seattle