IGNORED

floating gauges

Daniel

I had a problem with my temp/oil pressure gauges.Both would go to normal position then in exact time both would drift down then back up.I had fought that demon before on my fuel gauge a while back and knew it was the tiny tiny little contact in the gauge.Glove box out,clock out, I could reach in and remove the yoke screw.With my hand relaxed like a yoga master I gently slipped it into the temp/oil hole in the dash and undid the wires.There is plenty of room in the back of the dash to slide the gauge to the glove box.I'm 6'3" 200lbs. and have large hands so don't think I have small japanese hands.I disassembled the gauge cleaned the contact with a burnishing tool(ultra fine file) and put humpty dumpty back together again.Better but not what I wanted.After doing this process 5 or 6 times I took the face out of the gauge and reinstalled it.With the car running in my dark garage(the door was open, safety first)I could see A small arc across the points.With the unit disassembled AGAIN. I saw the contact was attached to a strip of stainless then had a wire attached that went to the power feed for the temp gauge.Well,all I need to do is move the wire labeled IGN over to the other connector and I'll bypass the contact and my life will be complete!Install,turn on key,both gauges go to MAX.Remove,disassemble AGAIN!I looked at that simple thing over and over WHY,WHY that should have worked!Then it hit me.Once upon a time a friend had told me that the ballast resistor in alot of GM cars is just a stainless strip 'cause it is a poor conductor!I used a strip of emory cloth dipped in tarnex and slid it between the contact.Oh so carefully I soldered the contact closed.Put the gauge in place using my now too damn familiar one hand in dash one in hole combo.Lay on drivers seat stick hand up from dash bottom to start yoke screw.Then back to passenger side thru glove box to tighen.SUCCESS!!!!The stainless acts a a resistor!Now as soon as the soreness leaves my arms,shoulders and lower back.I"M GOING FOR A RIDE!!!! Have,no, HAD my fun!! Daniel

Glad to hear of your success! But, does this mean my fuel gauge is gonna crap out yet again? I just did the emery cloth trick once, and it worked. BUT, it's still friggin' winter here in NY, so it's had no real use, other than re-install & check if it worked!

Hope mine lasts forever, cuz i got big hands too..

I hope yours works forever!If not ,Take comfort in the fact you now know where to look.I have countless hours checking wires,diagrams,connectors,grounds and crawling on my belly like a reptile across the seats and floor with a volt meter.Just once I'd like to be BEHIND the curve instead of in front of it.Then someone could tell me in advance what the fix is.It ain't easy bein' me!:D Have fun!! Daniel

Hey, Daniel, you ever thought about doing a MOBILE gauge repair business??LOL

We could help you get them out if we had to, but since you know how to do it and how to fix them when they are out........

Just kidding, thanks for the info, it will probably come in handy but hopefully not too soon.:P

Hey 2manyZ's don't read this out loud 'cause I don't want to start any rumorsLOL . But I was thinking about the fix end of that.I enjoy fixing things.I have too.If thing aren't broken here,I go to my friends houses in search of a fix.ER AH you know what I mean--a REPAIR!.Anyway here I sit with the knowledge and my homemade test equipment and no more broken gauges.Sad oh so sad! Daniel:(