IGNORED

Just bought a project

jdllaugh

I just found a '72 240z that has minimal rust for only $400. It doesn't run, bu everything's there. Looks pretty original throughout. The ONLY rust I could find is on the leading edge of the left rear quarter panel (that spot in front of the rear tire) and under the rear hatch at the back. Solid everywhere else, including the floors, under the battery tray and where the front frame rails meet the firewall.

The owner said he parked it when the fuel pump went out 10 years ago! It's been sitting ever since, so it will be a major project. Now the question is do I restore it to original, fix it up with later model Z stuff or hybridize with non Z stuff?

I want to end up with a fun sports car that I can autocross and drive on track days at the local road course. I plan to do most of the work myself over several months. I'm not thinking of V8 power, but I might go with a hot v6 (or straight six). I'm more interested in road racing than drag racing.

I'm not a purist. Basically I want the most bang for the buck. Suggestions?

Since there are so many things you can do to your car, all I can say is this. Do whatever you want to with it, or whatever you can afford to do. Unfortunately they don't always work together. Take it one step at a time and have a blast doing it, when it's done have a blast driving it.