IGNORED

Fuel Sensor

Ivan

hmm, confused alright here's the problem in a bit more detail:

- The fuel guage went full all of a sudden

- I pulled the wires off and connected the two directly togeather, the fuel guage went to full

- I then tried both wires individually to both sensor outputs individually, 1 of the combinations caused the guage to go full the other 3 caused it to go empty

so if it gets it's earth from one of the wires it would seem that the output that caused it to go full is somehow earthed out somewhere?

Originally posted by Ivan

- I pulled the wires off and connected the two directly togeather, the fuel guage went to full

That means the gauge is OK.

- I then tried both wires individually to both sensor outputs individually, 1 of the combinations caused the guage to go full the other 3 caused it to go empty

so if it gets it's earth from one of the wires it would seem that the output that caused it to go full is somehow earthed out somewhere?

There is no earth exactly, thats why there are 2 wires to complete the circuit, else there would only be 1 and the body would be earth. [even though it is neutral with respect to the negative of the battery].

The fault is in your sending unit, sometimes it can even be the conectors, give them a good clean and squirt with wd40 and try again. Hopefully that is all that is required.

Does anyone know WHERE in the USA the connectors that attach to the sender unit can be purchased? My guage was intermittant for about a year (the sender was new 2 years ago) amd mpw it is dead as a door nail the needle on the guage never moves at all. I'm going to test the sender and I'd like to replace the connectors and solder them to the wiring so I know that I have good connections.

Thanks, Carl

Hi Mike:

They are similar to female spades, but are significantly (to me ) different as they have a locking tab that allows them to slip onto the senders connection post in only one direction. I guess that I'll have to take the new sender to the auto parts store or electrical supply store and root through the bins to find something that will work. I have the rubber boots, but they are getting "stiff" in their old age. That may be part of the problem as they are VERY difficult to remove and the wiring takes a beating.