IGNORED

Heads and L28 Blocks

CoastGuardZ

CoastGuardZ

I am in Summerville...................If you are going to build a motor come and see me.

I am pulling a F54 block and 5 speed tranny tomorrow (Sunday)

Block and tranny is yours for the taking (free).........Just come and get it.

Block needs new rings

Tranny is perfect with new fluid and new clutch.

Nate,

I'd say you're pretty much on the right track. Regarding .060 (1.5mm) over pistons, I don't think there is such a thing. You do know you *could* invest in a diesel crankshaft and bore out .120 over and use KA24E (240SX/hardbody truck) pistons, with L24 rods, don't you? I've had no real overheating problems with mine over the past 8 years. Now I'm at 255rwhp, and the 260Z 3-row radiator I put in back in '95 is still doing the job even at hot track days.

For a stock head, I'm partial to the N42. Makes for a good CR with no shaving required. P90 should be good, too, but will likely require serious shavage (~.080"), shimming of the cam towers, and installation of the earlier (pre-'80?) valves. N47 should also be fine, similar to N42 but has the hated exhaust liners (which may or may not cost a coupla ponies).

There are different L28 blocks, the early ones (N42?) and the later F54 block. The earlier blocks are supposedly better metalurgically, and the F54 blocks ('81+?) supposedly are more rigid due to the 1-3 and 4-6 cylinders being siamesed. IMO, for your power goals either should be fine.

Jeff,

Hey if you want to give 'em up I'll defintely take them both, and I appreciate the offer. I'll PM you with my question though.

Dan... I am definetly impressed everytime I see your rwhp number. I don't think I'm looking to go stroker right now, but....hmmmm. I appreciate everyones input on this as I am compiling a small database of this info, opinions and other misc. wordings. I have also been creating a quite the links page.

and damn, 15:1. that's pretty high, do you think avgas would do the trick?!?

By no means am I trying to end this thread, I am still very interested in everyones knowledge and opinions.

I might just be in the market for a LD28 crank now:beard:

Thanks again,

Nate

Woulda been nice if I'd spelled it correctly! Should be "metallurgically".

BTW, I'm running at ~11:1, on 93 octane pump. I think most serious L-series race motors are in the 13 - 14:1 range, so even if you're using race gas I don't think 15:1 would be a good idea. The earlier post on the use of L24 and L20 rods with L28 pistons doesn't account for the the pistons trying to occupy the same space as the cylinder head!

If you're building/rebuilding anyway, I think the stroker crank should be STRONGLY considered, if performance is your goal. It's not as expensive as it has a reputation for being, and it makes a killer foundation for all the other mods (cam, carbs, headwork...).

Dan,

It was nowhere in my original plans at all, but you may have just talked me into building a stroker! Great, now I've got even more parts to track down. What head are you running? Did you shave any on your head or are you running it at stock height? Also, what route did you go on your cam? Stock? Or aftermarket? Any lifts / durations that you suggest or have heard work well?

Thanks,

Nate

• 3 years later...

revive this old thread!!

im using a e88 head on my 1977 L26, is the e88 any good or is it best used as a boat anchor? and where can i find the block number on my block, i had a good look, but can seem to see anything imediatley obvious.

You can find the block number on the left or driver's side of the block down by the motor mount. If it's stock, I believe the L26 block is a P30, same as the L24. The difference between the two is a longer stroke on the L26. It wasn't until the L28 that the bore was increased. As for the E88, it can be made into a decent head by adding the larger 280Z valves and doing some porting. It all depends on your end goal. Lots of good info in this thread but lots more in the forum. Be sure to check out the search feature. It's the best place to start.

• 3 weeks later...