IGNORED

Anybody autocrossing their Z?

Franklin

I'm just starting to get into it. I have a '90 twin turbo which I don't want to use since I'm planning on selling it. I had a '70 240 years ago that was wrecked and always loved the car. I thought about getting one for autocrossing and some days at the tracks but thought the age of the car may come into play. Also considering a '91 - 93 Toyota MR2 for the age reason. I'm not really sure which way to go on this since there seem to be so many mods to a lot of the 240's I've looked at. I'd like to add suspension adn wheels but keep the enging a stock 4 speed.

Franklin, have you gone to the SCCA sitte? That site can give you the mods via a rule book you can order. Also try the ZONC website, (www.ZONC.org) look under: competition. They has a good article on exactly how to prepare for AutoX and other links. Did you decide on a car yet? That other site I told you about has some pretty nice cars! How much do you want to spend?See ya out there,

Zlish

I have AutoX my Z in the past for fun mainly, but there's lots of guys that are very fast in their Z's racing competitively. The Z's really do well in AutoX will coilovers, swaybars, race tires and a nicely tuned motor with SU carbs. Considering they are up paired up against Vettes, will give you a pretty good idea of how fast that can be. Yes, the Z is a very good platform to take autocrossing or on the track!!...very few cars can do that!!!

Zlish, thanks for the link, it is actually www.ZONC.org, not .com. I found it anyway. I found a few that I've called on but they just haven't worked out yet. I'm either going the good running stock w/ bad paint job route or good running built up for more $$$. Just a matter of finding the right one for the right price. I'll keep you posted.

Franklin, if you don't mind a little advice from someone who's already been there, done that. If you decide to get into any kind of racing and do it seriously (read many modifications to the car) I strongly urge you to look at cars that are already built. If you start with one that has the basics you can add your own touches later. I spent twice as much building an ITS car from a car I had than what I could have bought a decent one already to go. Just something to think about.....