Can't remove the brake drums! - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Can't remove the brake drums!

Featured Replies

The rear drums are stuck. I sprayed a whole can of wd-40 and let it sit over night. I banged on them with a 10lb hammer and a wood block for 4 1/2 hours; wont budge. I would hate to set a torch to them. Is there some type of chemical I could use to take these off.

Mc

This subject has been covered many times...check the forums and search "brake drums".:beard:

What Bill said. And if you haven't backed off the shoes by using the adjusting wheel (see other posts), you're wasting your time....

Just 2 quick observations:

1. The rear brake drums are aluminum, so a cutting torch is a really BAD idea.

(The fuel in the solid rocket boosters for the space shuttle is powered aluminum)

2. When I bought my Z the drums were in the back, and one of them had been literally torn apart by someone who removed it from the car with a big hammer.

(At least I hope and pray that the braking surface wasn't ripped from the mounting surface by something that happend while the car was in motion...)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.