IGNORED

so what's so special about the Z car?

clutchdust

like i have said in the previous post, i'm new to the Z thing. since i've been on this forum, i've noticed quite a few of you that are very dedicated to this car. i can admire that. my first (car) love is the corvette. they're great cars. unfortunately, they're too heavy and expensive to go out and just enjoy a track day. so mine will get restored and the Z will become my track car. from what i've seen so far, it looks like a platform with alot of potential.

already, though, i can feel the same type of division with the rest of the Z owners, just like the corvette community. there seems to be two or three sub-groups in each group of car enthusiasts. one says restore it, anything else is destroying it. another says, race it, that's what they were meant for. and yet another group says, modify it and drive it. just don't junk it.

so what's the big deal with the Z? i can tell it has a much more international appeal than my corvettes do. been imported all around the world so they have a world wide reputation. but yet, they're still somewhat of a novelty even so.

give me a little history of the Z and what it means to you.

They didn't use to be a "novelty" in the US, anyway. When they first were imported the early 70's they were an instant hit with the public. Demand outstripped supply for several years (70-72). Car Dealers could (and did) demand premiums over the factory prices. Additional equipment such as aluminum wheels, stripe kits, side mouldings, aftermarket A/C, etc were routinely added to the cars to further "pad" the retail prices.

As for what makes the car special to me, it's bang for the buck, and styling; plain and simple. It's an easy and fun car to maintain, and/or mildly modify (I haven't tried a V8 conversion or Turbo swap so I cannot speak to that level of mod) and a very fun car to drive. Then of course, there is the body styling. A little bit of Ferrari Daytona, Jaguar E Type, and other classic styling bits all rolled into a package that to me can only be described as beautiful.

If you have to ask, then maybe you dont belong here.

Looks like the Z bug hasnt gotten around to biting you yet.

Whats the big deal with corvettes?

Why does someone like some songs that you hate?

I guess its just personal.

I think the are one of the best looking cars made in the 1970's and they still look good.

Look around at cars that were made in 1970. How many of them had IRS? Not many and they cost twice the price of a Z. And with a little tweaking the Z could beat them.

Most other cars were live axle, with pushrod driven valve engines, and antiquated suspension systems.

Restore it, modify it, race it. It doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it.

Yep, it's personal.

Styling, power, and I love the fact that I'm driving a piece of history. This car really was the car to introduce Nissan (and the rest of the Japanese Automotive industry) to the world. Big statement, but I believe it to be true.

Also I love the rarity and exclusivity (at least in Australia). I've always said I would never own an 'ordinary' car and the 240Z is absolutely extraordinary. Porsche performance, Ferrari looks, all at the price of a... Datsun? That's something special. Of course you could point I don't actually own one anymore... but that's another story. ROFL:love:

Corvette's are nice cars too. Dunno why you'd want one though... :tapemouth

IMHO what makes them special is the people that own them and build them.

ive been inot Z cars since high school. there is nothing around that looks like them, drives like them and can be modified like them.

i would say the best Z to date i had owned was a 72 that i built up myself, probably why i like it the most. things i loved about the car firs was that looks.

it just looks damn good no matter what angle you look at it. second handling, i can corner this car like no other and was never afraid or never lost any confidence in its ablity ever.

third, power, yes i said power and this was out of a built 2.4 straight six that had no trouble keeping up with or passing most V8's, even surprised a 84 "vette" once whne i passed him after he thought i was insignificant.

fourth a solid, trustowrthy, strong balanced engine. no vibrations, smoothe throttle response and torque curve.

RWD with IRS

the cost of this car for me was 2500, rebuilt the motor bored over .060, head port and polish, larger valves 460 lift 270/280 duration cam, 5 speed 336 differential, poly bushings through out, SST springs and sway bars, front strut tower bar. dual weber carbs.

after building cost was about 6k out ran and out drove most everything out there and looked ans sounded fantastic. wouldnt hesitate to drive it anywhere.

also if you wish i could post the video of the Z beating the pants off of a Z06 vette threw the twisties. if thats isnt enough for you what is?

thanks for the reply guys. as i figured, alot of this is just personal taste. the one comment about introducing the japanese manufacturers to the world was kind of telling. i never really thought about that but when i read that, i tried to think of any other japanese car that was taken seriously and i couldn't, at least not here. sure there were some imports prior to that but they were commonly referred to as throw away cars.

i love my vette and expect to grow to love the Z as much. i'm sure they're very similar in those certain "intangable" qualities that car people seem to be the only ones to understand. and i'm sure they are very different in many ways and i trust they will complement each other. the one thing that they both share are timeless good looks. since i first started looking at my friends last year, i really began to take notice of those lines. it really is a fine looking car. will let you know as it grows on me!

What's so special about the Z? Geez, that is a tough question, better answered by another question. Why can I not become obsessed with Chevy, Ford, or Plymouth muscle cars? They do nothing for me. Yeah, I can look at them and think "nice car". I can drive them and complain about whiplash from the acceleration. I can listen to rumble of American cubic inches, and feel my molars shake out. But in the end, its "just another car".

The Z evokes a purely emotional reaction from me. The body was taken from Jaguar, the performance (stock) is marginal by today's standards, and it is plagued by rust. But, for some reason, when I see one, none of that matters. When I drive one, I am taken to a place where it is only me----and the car. Nothing about the car is overkill, just an extension of the human driver. There is nothing else on the road (past or present) that becomes part of me when I drive it. The noises, vibrations, and smell bring me into the car much like that nifty plug in device in The Matrix.

Its hard to explain, but you will eventually be saying---"Corvette, nice car, but lets talk about the Z some more."

Originally posted by ZmeFly

also if you wish i could post the video of the Z beating the pants off of a Z06 vette threw the twisties. if thats isnt enough for you what is?

I wouldn't mind seeing this if your willing to post it.

As for me, back when I was a kid we pulled up at the lights next to one and I remember looking over at this thing thinking what the hell is that! Looks awesome!

Did some research and found out what it was....sounded good....

Bout a year later I saw one give it a good hit up the road....music to my ears! I think I've been addicted every since. :)

Hmm...I should be studying for exams atm...But I'm itching to take my zed for a drive just for the hell of it. :)