IGNORED

Do aussie 260Z coupes have an elec fuel pump?

Murph

you gotta remember Gav,

Datto-zed lives in townsville, its bloody hot up there,

the heat soak that would be produced from a couple of minutes sitting in the sun would be intense. the mechanical L series Pump doesnt hold up well in really hot weather. your right though it probably isnt putting out enough PSI but i doubt even a new mechanical pump would be able to keep enough pressure to stop the problem especially with summer ciming up.

another advantage of an electric pump is that you can turn it on before the car is stared, this will pump fuel through the lines and help purge them of vapour before the engine is started.

datto-zed,

if you go with an electric pump see if you can get the original electric pump bracket that is located in front of the fuel tank, this will make life easier with mounting. its up to you what pump you use, just make sure its a carby pump. you should be able to get one pretty cheap at a wrecker, i think a carter pump is a couple of hundred bucks.

Brett240's right....it's be just under 40deg up here all this week.

I think I'll give one of the RX7 pumps from the wreckers a go. I see if I can get one of these brackets too.

I still have to replace all the fuel tank vent lines, so I'll do whole lot in one hit in the next few days.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

oh by the way if you go with the electric pump throw the mechanical one in the bin. it will end up being more of a hindrance than a helper. with the electric pump being able to flow better the mechanical pump will turn into a restriction in the line...

unbolt it, take it off and put a plate over it to cover the hole. then hook some new fuel hose up to your metal fuel lines.

completely straight forward.

you can leave it in there and just bypass it, but all it will do sitting there is add drag on your camshaft (the pump operates off a lobe on the front of the cam).

Just as a side note don't throw it out, 1 thing I've learnt never throw anything away just incase.

It could turn out not to be the cause but from what Brett is saying 40 degree days could also not help.

Although I've had my Z run fine on hot 40 degree days in summer I remember coming back from Rosebud down here and it was something like 45 degree's and going along the highway the wind was so hot with the windows down and all.

:)

To the best of my experience VL only occurs after turning off, when the fuel stops flowing. An old 260 of mine had an elec pump and it still was a bugger to start on 35+ days.

I guess your using the original flat top carbs? If so block off the water lines that run to the base of each carby, they're designed to warm up the carbs. ie for european markets.

Still reckon you should replace that filter!

Steve

At the moment Ive got the mechanical pump still in the line, but looking to get rid of it cleanly, the blanking plate as mentioned, can I get that off a fuel injected L-series engine?

(BTW I got the rx7 pump and bracket for a steal, $45 and it looked new, couldnt believe my luck! Was difficult to find tho...)

Cheers