Engine Expert for Head Info - Open Chit Chat - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Engine Expert for Head Info

Featured Replies

Hi Guys,

This is a general question to the forum.

Is there a way to measure an E-31 head

to determine if it has been shaved below

tolerances while still installed on the engine,

or, must it be pulled to get an accurate measurement? Thanks for your input.

Dan

I'm no expert, and I can't remember where I heard this but as the bottom line of the 'E' on the head marking on the spark plug side of the head is very close to the head gasket flange, it is possible that if the head has been shaved that this lower line will have been lost. So if the head marking on your E31 says 'F31' then it is almost definitely been shaved by a considerable amount.

If it has only been shaved a small amount and the head still says E31 then this will not of course work.!!!!

Hope it helps

Stock head Thickness is 4.250 as I recall. It may be possible to find a place on the side of the head where you can measure it with some digital calipers. I havn't tried this though, I've always measured them on the bench.

Phred

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.