IGNORED

SU means....?

SuDZ

Hey guys,

I am picking up my first Z tommorow (I think anyhow) and had a question. I will be getting a '74 260Z and was wondering what the SU means when refering to carbs. I see it used all over the place but was curious what it stood for. I figure getting some of these acronyms out of the way now will kind of help out. Any others used around here a lot that I should look out for? I know on my other forum that I visit (Maxima.org) a few years ago we compiles a list, but I can not find anything like that here.

SuDZ

Originally posted by SuDZ

I will be getting a '74 260Z and was wondering what the SU means when refering to carbs. I see it used all over the place but was curious what it stood for.

SU stands for "Skinners Union". The Skinner Bros developed the type of carburetor used in our Z's and many other cars. Originally their business was in leather manufacture and the original carbs used leather for some of the soft parts.

SU is just another manufacturer of carburetors, like Rochester, Stromburg, Carter, Holley, etc. The SU carbs in our Z's were made under a manufacturing license from SU to Hitachi in Japan.

Hey thanks. I just got my Z home a couple hours ago. Now the fun begins. After a few pitstops for overheating and some nasty sounding backfires we got there :classic: So now I will have to track down the issues with the backfiring and the overheating problems but at least it is home.

SuDZ