IGNORED

T5 swap write up

blitzkraig

• 1 year later...

i just did a t5 swap, orig 72 240z 4 spd to bw t5 from 82 turbo z. it is a direct bolt on exept that i flatten the front part of the original transmission mount(both ends) and drill a hole half inch infront of the original hole. the only hard part is i welded the flatten part to the rest of the bracket to make it more sturdy. also i have to cut the original drive shaft front yoke and replace it with the t5 yoke. i have it done on a local machine shop. e-mail me if you need picture. it is hard to describe what i did, but it is really simple. i also swap an lsd and it is a bolt swap. my e-mail is hf240z@yahoo.com.

Since I have nothing to do while I'm waiting for my rear brake cylinders from Nissan, I decided to update my webpage. You can find a write up of the T5 install under the Tech section of the page. Be sure to check out the rest of the Z stuff while you're there!

http://people.ucsc.edu/~crearly

hi,

what shifter boots did you use or better yet, did you use a mustang T5 shifter?, what shifter (rubber) boots did you use for it?

• 2 months later...

hf240z,

I picked up a T5 this weekend, got a hell of a deal on it, too. Got one question, though. Is it necessary to use the little support brackets that where attached to the bellhousing and then bolted onto the engine block underneath? There is no provision for this on my L28 I'm going to use, so I'm curious if I even need these pieces.

If you do not have the bolt holes on your block you can not use these brakets unless you drill and tap.you do not have to use them as they were put on as an attemp to stiffen the engine-trans mating,don't get me wrong they do work.but there not needed.I like to use them when I build higher powered L-series engines.

JZM

No..I'm talking about high horse power/high torque engines,like turbo charged,

super charged and racing type engines.even then you don't really need them.

look at all the older Z race cars -they didn't have them.I just like to put them on just in case.[i just holds things together a little better.]besides on an engine thats been dressed up they look really cool when polised.

JZM

Another question....

Is there any significant issue with the shifter? I have an early Series I car, but I've already had a late model 4-speed in the car. I'm just trying to make sure I don't have any other modification to do to the trans tunnel.

I thought I had heard some where that it was better to use the shifter out of a Mustang. Is that true or did I just hear a bunch of BS?

I'll be checking prices later this week for modifications to the driveshaft.

Eitehr way, I'll probably still modify the shifter some. In order to use my stock console, I have to put a pretty serious "S" bend in the shifter itself to clear the front part of the console. I did this with my later "B" series 4-speed. I'll just have to take a look at the shifter on the T5 to see how I can work it.

Thanks for the help and the info. When I get farther along, I may need some more help.