IGNORED

OT - 810 Sports Coupe

Victor Laury

I have an opertunity to buy a 78 810 Sports Coupe for little money. It's described as a 5 speed in very good body/paint/interior condition, metalic brown, that "Doesn't Run".

Now the "Doesn't Run" Does not put me off. Certainly, I'll find just about all the engine parts from my Z vendors. Injectors the same?

My target vehicle has been a 77, 78 620 King Cab, But, I remember this car well. In 78, my father considered buying one. I clearly recall see the engine in the showroom that day, the L24E, with all the zinc chromate parts, glittering like gold.

If I buy this car, will I be able to find "more suitable" bumpers than the super-chunkey U.S. market ones, overseas? Were these cars sold overseas and as what, Laurels? I just can see me begging my buddy RatDat to send me some bumpers from England. Knowing him, he probibly has them!

I think it would be cool to have a comforable, Air conditioned, soft ride, plenty o power this car offered, in the Classic Nissan mode of life. Thoughts?

I did some research this morning and it looks like the U.S. 810 is a longer wheel base version of the 180B, equipped with the L24E instead of the the L18. There is a reference to the JDM only Bluebird U 2000GT. I must admit, Nissans of this vintage kind of blend together. Pretty dificult to grasp the bloodlines. From the photos of the Brit 180b's, the bumpers arn't much smaller.

You can see a 79 810 2dr in my gallery on this site. It looks like the one Victor described. Mahogany metallic (#609), 5 spd, etc. Mine runs, quite well, however. It only has 80000 original miles. I paid $500 for it, had it painted, did the little bit of mechanical work it needed and it runs like a charm. The only real problem it had was cold start. That was easy because anything that could come up on this car I have already dealt with on my Z. This car is my daily driver. I don't like the bumpers either but the cost of purchasing the thinner bumpers and hardware from the U.K. or Australia might be somewhat prohibitive.

Steve Blakeney

1979 810 sport coupe

1978 280Z coupe

1964 L320 Pickup

After further research, I have verified that the 810 2dr was only available from 7/78 to 9/79. I went back and found the January 1979 Road and Track which has a road test on the 79 810 coupe. It was not avaialble as a 77 or 78. The were only available in 79 and early 80 although the 80's were actually late 79's. The 80 810/Maxima had a more rectangular design. I have done considerable research on these cars. I looked for one for over 6 years before buying the one I presently own. I have parts lists, manuals, magazine articles, ads, etc. I know pretty much what parts are available and what parts aren't. I had to order my outer window squeeges from Rare Spares in Australia! They were actually for a 200B coupe which is the Australian version of the 810. But, anyway, that 810 coupe that Victor speaks of that is listed as a 78 has to be a 79. I have attached a picture of my 79 810 2dr.

Steve Blakeney

1979 810 2dr

1978 280Z coupe

1964 L320 Pickup

I tried to look it up over the weekend, but the ad was gone. I may have missed. "May", cause sometimes the ads drop off and the owners will put it up again.

This is crazy. I don't need another car! I need a truck. I was saving the other car option for that "Perfect" 510 or 1200 coupe.

But, the logic is, This car was cheap enough to play with. Get it running and then .... Knowing me ..... fall in love with it and spend way too much.