IGNORED

Door seals

tanny

I just installed a driver side main door seal on my 240 that I purchased from VB. It had no metal clip incorporated into it like my original seal. The door is quite hard to close now and it's not sealing worth a damn. It is definitely installed correctly, but is totally unacceptable. I think I remember reading about other people having similar problems. Does anyone know where to order a seal that is the same as the original and that works? If so, do you have a part number? Thanks, Victor

Originally posted by tanny

I just installed a driver side main door seal on my 240 that I purchased from VB. It had no metal clip incorporated into it like my original seal. The door is quite hard to close now and it's not sealing worth a damn. It is definitely installed correctly, but is totally unacceptable. I think I remember reading about other people having similar problems. Does anyone know where to order a seal that is the same as the original and that works? If so, do you have a part number? Thanks, Victor

The 240Z "original" seal does not have the plastic covered metal clips built into the seal. The metal clip part is a separate part.

The aftermarket kit from Precision Replacement Parts (sold by MSA and Vic Brit) made to fit a 280Z DOES have the metal clip part actually incoporated into the seal.

If you want the original OEM seals, they are available (or were last September) from Courtesy Nissan, but they DO NOT have the clip built into them. The rubber of the seals is much softer than the rubber of the PRP seals, though.

I was almost certain that the seals on my car had not been replaced since it was used for only 9 years before it was stored. The "clip" I am refering to is integrated with the rubber and comes up over the headliner vinyl( for about 5/16 inch) on the inside of the body flange it attaches to. The metal clip is covered with plastic or vinyl with a roughened or crosshatch pattern. Seems a bit complex to be aftermarket, but I guess it's possible. The VB version has no clip, just a thin rubber flap that comes up the inside of the flange for about 3/16 inch, and looks fairly crappy because it doesn't cover the flange completely and of course supplies no support for the headliner vinyl like the original. Looks really unfinished. I also noticed that the 280 has two different door seal listings in the VB and MSA catalogs. The expensive one for the 74-6/75 and a cheaper one for the 7/75-78. Do you happen to know which specific one works? I'll ask the vendors but I'd rather get some advice from people who have actually put these seals on. Thanks, Victor.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received door seals for my 72 240 that I bought from VB. Installed one yesterday and now the door is next to impossible to close. I have adjusted the latch but there is still a gap at the door handle end..So now what. The seals fits fine,installed correctly. I have a continuous clip on mine,a finish piece that clips the rubber to the car. I guess my question is ,how do I adjust the door. There does not appear to be any adjustment at hinges, and even if there was the door at the hing is flush, it is at the striker the problem. It is out about 3/4 of an inch..your assistance would be appreciated..

Ron

Did you actually get a clip with your door seals? Did you order the 240 seal or the 280 seal? I didn't get a clip with my 240 seal from VB. My doors were very hard to close also, but are getting a little easier to close as time goes on. I did not do any door adjustments. The passenger door still had a water leak where the front of the window frame connects to the door. I glued a spacer into the fold on the seal to make the seal wider in that area, and that stopped the leak. Good luck, Victor.

Hi, you are not alone. I have been slamming my doors for a year and they still dont fit right. VB rubber seems too thick. I was almost tempted to order through JC Whitney (oh my, what am I saying!!) just to try a different set. "Keep it out in the heat". That didnt work either. Mine is a 71 240z. The door lines up with no rubber but aint close with it in.:stupid: Later