IGNORED

Upgraded to a turbo oil pump - no start

BillD

I followed the video directions and installed a turbo oil pump on my '73 240z with a '78 280z engine. I removed the distributer, clamped the rod, removed the old pump, primed and installed the new pump and put everything back together. Everything went fine until I tried to start the car. Very slow cranking. I removed the distributor cap and it cranked fine. With distributor cap on it cranks very slowly. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Bill Delaune

Sounds like the drive spindle might not be seated completely in the crank drive gear or in the oil pump possibly... doing this while the engine is in the car is a major PITA... been there, done that.

Try pulling the distributor and turning the engine over and then check to see if the drive spindle has changed position on the distributor(vertically), other than that, it would be taking it all apart and starting over....

Since you didn't remove the drive spindle, I think we can rule out it being out of time.... won't tell ya what I did the first time I did it while the engine was in a car....:stupid: Live and learn.....

Let's hope it is just not seated correctly in the oil pump drive tang.....

Been sitting here trying to think why Social Circle, GA was so familiar... been almost 20 years since I used to pick up plastic pipe there and take it all over New England....:tapemouth

Thanks for the help so far. I'm about to start looking into this. If anyone has any more specific suggestions or thoughts, I'd be very grateful (as would the other poor souls who might have wandered into this frightening land.)

BILL D.

Everything seems to be fitting well. I starting to think that the shaft slipped on a cog and my timing is off. Does this diagnosis make sense? If so, any advice about how to reposition the shaft? Symptoms are still as described in the first post.

Thanks,

Bill D.

BillD,

The shaft that is between the oil pump and the distributor, has a gear on it that needs to be timed to the crankshaft so that your distributor is in the correct position (factory position) when all is assembled. On this gear, there is a little dimple that should face toward the front of the engine, when the engine is in the #1 TDC. So put the engine at #1 TDC first. If you have a repair manual, it will give you the exact details of the dimple position. Basically, you install the shaft on the end of the oil pump and rotate the shaft until the dimple is facing forward and then slide the assembly (oil pump & shaft with gear) up into the engine. When installing the pump/shaft, it is very easy to install it one tooth off. This is because the gears are helico and rotate slightly when they begin to meshtogether. You may have to do it a couple of times to get the distributor in the correct position. By the way, pull your distributor out before installing the pump/shaft. After the pump is in, then put your distributor back in. If you have timed the shaft correctly, the distributor will be correct also.

I hope this all makes sences and will help you out. Have patients and good luck.

I got the pump shaft replaced as per the suggestions here and tips from the Chilton, Haynes, and Motorbooks manuals. No major problem except for the antisway bar placement. The end result was an instant start and purrs like a kitten. My oil pressure is now about 50psi at 2500rpm, a very happy improvement over my original readings. Thanks for all your help. This is a great list!!!!

:D

Yup, it's a great site.. we didn't even get our hands dirty....LOL

Seriously though, I'm glad it was something as simple as the timing being off a notch or two... not hard to do with the oil pump drive spindle.....you aren't the first, and probably not the last either.... they are always a pain to work on when the engine is still in the car.