IGNORED

Master cylinder rebuild kit?

LanceM

What comes in one? do you get new pistons or just seals and springs?

I can't get my front piston out, may be just crud but it won't blow out. I figure I can drill and tap a hole in the end and pull it but if new ones don't come with the kit it's time for a new master cylinder.

I'm hoping that someone has been there done that and can tell me what comes in the kit or another way to get the piston out.

Looking forward to any hints,

Lance

Unless you are knowledgeable in honing out and polishing the interior of the cylinder,I would suggest buy a unit that is reman or new.Perhaps your luck is better than mine.I tried the rebuild route on wheel cylinders,master and clutch cyl.I think I had about a 60 percent success rate.They all worked great for a short time then failed.Myself,I don't waste my time on that anymore.At least a reman has some warranty.If you install a kit and it fails you are back in your pocket.I'm sure you understand when I say you darn sure want every chance that master cylinder is as correct as it can be!!!

Originally posted by Daniel I think I had about a 60 percent success rate.

That's about par for the course. Nissan used Aluminum bores. Once pitted, scored or ridged, it tears up the rebuild kit pretty dam quick. A common complaint with our Roadster brothers as well. We have come to the conclusion that once all avenues for new cylinders have been exhausted, we'll fall back to sendinding them out to a re-sleaving service, such a White Post Restorations in Virginia. I'm saving a couple of cores to do just that in the near future.

http://www.whitepost.com/ (site was down when I tried)

White Post Restorations

One Old Car Drive

Post Office Drawer D

White Post, VA 22663

(540) 837-1140 Fax 837-2368

Ask for Billy or "W.R."

There's you're answer lance.Even if you have to swap the lines,If you don't do it now you will do it later.I see it as a cheap insurance policy.$25.00 will stop you from looking for more expensive and less available front end parts.

Thanks for all of the replys. I have it soaking right now and when I get home tonight I'm going to try one more time. If I can't blow it out then I'll try drilling and tapping and pulling it out. The bore that is exposed is perfect, no scores or marks and I believe the piston is stuck with dried gunk. I figure I've got nothing to loose, if I wreck it taking it apart I was going to have to get a new one anyway. Rick I'll get back to you on that rebuilt unit if things don't go well tonight!

Thanks,

Lance

Originally posted by LanceM

What comes in one? do you get new pistons or just seals and springs?

Different kits come with varying amounts of new parts. I bought "major" kits that had everything including new pistons, bleed screws, seals, springs, copper washers etc; and other "minor" kits have only come with seals, and copper washers.

Like others have said, I don't bother rebuilding anymore. I just buy a rebuilt with a warranty or a new one with a warranty.

Brakes are too important to take chances on.

just my $.02

Well it's been decided, I had to try but that piston won't come out. Drilled and tapped and busted off a screw using a slide hammer trying to get it out! Never had that much trouble pulling door locks, oops I mean dents out! :)

Time for a new one, well I had to try!

Thanks again,

Lance

You're probably right, but a lifetime of fixing things is hard to overcome, expecially when you get old :) I had to try!

Besides, I had a bad experiance with rebuilt master cylinders a few years ago, '67 Pontiac, put in 6 rebuilt in 2 weeks, none of them any good. Finally spent the money and bought a new one. I was told that the problem with a rebuilt is that there are no oversized seals, so if a core is honed once it's probably ok, twice maybe, three times probably not. I asked what happened to all of the ones I returned?? " Oh they probably just rebuild them" !!!! So much for quality control!

So I'm sort of shy of rebuilt things that get honed out as you can see. :)