IGNORED

Fuel problem

Al Squillante

I just completed installing my rebuilt head. Rebuilt the carburetors and have new mechanical fuel pump. (1971 Z). I CAN NOT GET ANY FUEL TO THE CARBURETORS. The fuel tank is filled to the top. I tried blowing back air from the line at the filter but no luck. Is there something internal to the tank that would prevent fuel from getting into the fuel line? Looking for any suggestions.

If I give the carburetors a shot of ether the engine runs for short time.

Al Squillante

I'm baseing my theory from my experiance with my '73 240 so this may not apply.

Between the tank and the mechanial pump is an electric pump with a filter, it is mounted on the passengers side right in front of the tank. It has a filter in it, if this filter clogs nothing will get through. Pull the right rear tire and you will see it, bypass it and see if your problem goes away.

Al Squillante,

Based on your ether theory if you can induce ether running for about 25 -30 seconds continuous and your fuel pump and cam are good your engine should be stumling into with fuel from your tank.

I believe that your problem is the air in the system.

I regularly get a similar problem with a Z(71) in storage, so I have a small elec pump I use to prime the fuel system. I fit the pump inline with flexible fuel line at the inlet of the mechanical pump , using the battery terminals for power, thirty to forty seconds running then I let it sit while I reconfigure the plumbing to the pump back to standard position and when all the clamps are good and tight I try to start it up with the key, normal result a kick and a splutter smooth running within a minute.

Good Luck

Steve :classic:

Steve

By the time I got your input I had dropped the tank and then blew air from froont to the hose that goes to the tank and it was clear. I also did the same ot the return and it was clear. Gas came out of both lines and they appear to be clear. The tank is another problem. It is loaded with rust and I am not sure if I can have it cleaned and coated internally. I think I probably could have got it going using your technique. However the tank and all the vent hoses were very bad and I just as well did what I did.

Thanks

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Just goot my refurbished gas tank from Moyers fuel tank renu. Looks a lot better than when I sent it to them. I have to get in touch with them since they did not snd me back the rubber pads. They did a nice job on the repair.($275 including $50 for shipping both ways ) The tank straps are not in the best shape. I will weld some reinforcement to fix them. I tryed to get new ones but no one seems to have them. The next thing I want to tackle is the exhaust system. I have a local parts place trying to locate the system. I had a Ansa system on it before I retired the car to the garage.

Once I get the exhaust in place I will install the fuel tank and

cant 'wait to get the engine running.

Al

Any leads on an exhaust system will be appreciated

This comment is a little late, but perhaps will be of use to someone else. My experience largely mirrored yours. To make the final diagnosis, I put an 8 foot length of fresh hose from a 5 gallon gas can, sitting 4 feet form the car to the input of the gas filter. I sucked some gas into the pump with a hand pump, and she fired right up for the first time in 13 years.

I'm still working on the gas tank issue, which is another story.

Z Village Idiot:stupid

Bentley: