IGNORED

specific question on rb26dett swaps

pdxvento

hey guys,

this is my first post aside from the classified posts, and i have been doing a lot of reading on this board, hrbridz.org, and other sources i can find. i want to put an rb26dett into my 280z. Ive seen it done, and know its possible. ive figured out the wiring (stand alone fuel management), and the mounting (full R34 front clip), but what i cant seem to grasp is the concept of how i can make the 4WD drivetrain of the rb26 into a RWD drivetrain? i have found information stating that the rb26 with its transmission provied almost 100% of the engines power to the rear wheels during normal driving, but under full throttle or hard cornering, it becomes 50/50 front rear distribution. how would one, or how have you dealed with this? did you have to use another transmission? i would prefer to use the 6 speed that came on the skyline, but what are my options as far as this goes?

thanks a lot guys, sorry for the long post.

also, please correct any errors in my logic or knowledge :) thanks again

I'm pretty sure you are limited to the Skyline GTS 5-speed, unless you want to make the car AWD (It's been done).

I think the 5-speed should be plenty. Sure, it doesn't have the wow factor of a 6-speed, but it may just be more practical.

Most guys use the Rb25DET 5 Speed box as stated above.

Some people have used the 26 box as also stated above but there isn't much documentation on it.

I believe it's the same gearbox as used in the Silvia Turbo's. :classic:

ok thankls for the help guys. thats kind of what i was concerned about. so either i have to buy skyline axle setups and cranks (to be brief), or i have to buy an rb25 5 speed gearbox? i think i understand. do you guys jknow of any companies/tuners that make/produce rb25det aftermarket 6 speed gearboxes?

also, if i do the RB25det transmission, i will have RWD, so is it possible to still use AWD skyline front axles?

thanks again guys. oh, and just so you know, this car isn't a daily driver, its my project, so even the most out there ideas are considerations :)

i guess im just trying to decide if i want to buy a full R34 front clip or not. if i do, and i make the 280 AWD, i will need to get new rear axles, etc. If i dont make it AWD, i will need a new tranny and new front axles, but id rather have RWD! such a dilemna

This is the same question I had about the 6 speed transmission.

Theoretically, what would happen if the driveshafts coming from the transfer case that run the front wheels were removed, allowing the connections to spin freely? Would the transfer case send 50% power to these free spinning connections and another 50% to the driveshaft (and rear wheels?)

I don't believe it will alien-e, this 4WD set up is computer controlled. When it senses slip from the rear wheels it tranfers 50% power to the front wheels.

pdxvento, the problem you will encounter though is you will have to cut out & fabricate a section of the right side floor & tunnel to accommodate the transfer case.

Hope this helps, Nick.

thanks nick! anything else i should look for? before the engine goes in, the 280 will be stripped bare. so its just the frame snd chassis. so i dont think it will be TOO hard of a task with nothing else in the car. thanks again!